PDA

View Full Version : cone filter holder

4rjn
12-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi I am new to all this and I see a lot of filter cones for sale and in the picture for the cones they show a real nice holder to hold the filter and a pan below to catch the syrup. Can anyone tell me where to find the holder and pan setup? Thanks Rod

Gary R
12-31-2008, 06:58 PM
4rjn,

I haven't seen one of the fancy holder's. But I made one that works well. I made a ring out of 1/2" soft copper. There are 2 tee's in it 180 degree's apart and pointing up. Then I used 1/2" rigid copper going up out of the tee's about 2' tall with elbows at the top. The cone filter hook's onto the elbow's and is held above a stainless stock pot. This year I welded a fitting into the bottom of the stock pot so that I can can from it.

davey
12-31-2008, 08:32 PM
I cut the bottom out of an old stainless steel water filled fire extinguisher and mounted my cone filters in that. Drilled some holes ia few inches down the sides and made a wire bail to hang it by and it worked real nice. If you try this, be sure to leave space between the holes and the top (former bottom) of the tank so that you can change out prefilters if needed. My first attempt they were too high and it was awkward to work with.

HHM-07
12-31-2008, 09:43 PM
i cut the bottom out of a sap bucket and have a ss milk pail under it works for me

Dick

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Tractor supply carries stainless pails really cheap that you could use to rig up a small unit.

VA maple guy
01-05-2009, 08:43 PM
You can use a large coffee urn. Attatch your cone filter to it with a bungee
cord, add your prefilters and your are ready to filter and bottle at the same time. Gerry

The Butcher
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I read in some older posts that someone made one using a garden tomato cage..

Haven't tried it but sounded good.

4rjn
01-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the input. I purchased a stainless steel pail from tsc and a stainless steel dog dish from tsc as well my plans are to cut the bottom off of the dish and support it above the pail with a modified tomato cage. I think that should do the trick. TTFN

maplesyrupstove
01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I have 2 fountain pop canisters with the top cut off.The cone filter fits right on top and we draw syrup from the evaporator this way.Then we finished the syrup in the house and filter it again with a holder for the cone filter.There are pictures in Photobucket ,year 2008.Darrell

maple flats
01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
When I used cone filters I used a wire plant stand with the center removed. Worked OK but would have been better if it was contained to keep syrup hot for better flow. I now use my filter press.

shawk
01-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I have 2 fountain pop canisters with the top cut off.The cone filter fits right on top and we draw syrup from the evaporator this way.Then we finished the syrup in the house and filter it again with a holder for the cone filter.There are pictures in Photobucket ,year 2008.Darrell

Was wondering if you are using the 5qt or 8qt cone filters in the pop canisters?

Haynes Forest Products
01-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Maplesyrupstove Are the side tubes of your valves for venting or as sight tubes?

maplesyrupstove
01-11-2009, 04:39 PM
my filter is a D&G Orlon#8 special quaity. page29 in the D&G book#487781.

maplesyrupstove
01-11-2009, 04:46 PM
My sight tubes are for the sap and syrup level in the pans.They work good ,but the one on the syrup pans doesn't work when you are drawing off syrup.