PDA

View Full Version : tank choices...

tuckermtn
12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
question for the expereinced RO folks...

if you were setting up an RO, is there a preference for what type of tank you use for permeate, concentrate, raw sap, etc...

if I have 2 galv. stock tanks (300 gal), one poly (225) and one stainless (300 gal)- where are they best used?

this would be in a separate building, not in the sugarhouse, so I will need to store concentrate.

my gut sense is keep the concentrate in the stainless (for ease of washing)- and use the plastic for permeate (no sugar- poly less likely to grow stuff if no sugar) and then use the galv. for the raw sap...

haven't made the RO commitment yet- just trying to look at overall costs...

Russell Lampron
12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Eric is the poly tank like the stock tanks or does it have a manhole on the top? If the poly tank has the manhole I would use it for permeate. That way leaves and dirt won't get blown into the water that you will be cleaning the RO with.

I would use the stock tanks for raw sap, the stainless one for concentrate and the poly tank for permeate.

dano2840
12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
i dont have any expierience with an ro but i know how it works and Russ's plan makes sense, thats the way i would do it

tuckermtn
12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Russ- yes the poly tank is one that has a manhole cover on it...stock tanks are open-top oval and the stainless is a cherry-burell old milk tank with covers...

thanks for the input...

caseyssugarshack93
12-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Tuckermtn, You buy that R/o on craigs list ?

Nate