PDA

View Full Version : chewing bark

maplecrest
12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
was checking for wind damage today and found the bark at the very tops of 6 trees chewed away. looked like mice damage at the base of a tree i had years ago. but this time at the tops of the trees. the choosen trees were healthy 6 inch trees. any ideas?

jason grossman
12-29-2008, 05:47 PM
In my area that would be squirrles!! i have actually stood in the woods and watched them do it, through the scope of my rifle!!! well at least they did it for a while. but i have seen it many times.

Russell Lampron
12-29-2008, 06:11 PM
I have a tree in my woods that something chewed the bark off of in 3 places about 3/4's off the way up the tree. I was told it was a porcupine.

tuckermtn
12-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I would agree with Russ...pocupines are after the cambium layer under the bark...like to sit in the crook of a tree and eat whats right around them...

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-29-2008, 07:21 PM
i have had the same problem from time to time, the culprit was squirells. there are no porkypines in my area

RICH

TapME
12-29-2008, 07:37 PM
maplecrest, I here that they make a great stew this time of the year. LOL I use to have the same problem, but not any more.

Chad802
12-30-2008, 03:49 AM
porcupine will have a field day with maple trees. I had lot trees chewed by
porcupines ,tops,bottoms, big ,small it didnt matter they just went to town
taking the bark off. ended up feeding them lead from a .270. havent had
anymore bark damage.

MapleBud
01-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Yup good old porcupines they can even kill the tree tops chewing to much bark off. lead will solve the problem

royalmaple
01-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Had one working in the bush last week. Theron said hey there's a porcupine. Under a hemlock just sitting there.

I had just ran some latterals up the bank and found a nice 8 inch sugar maple with the signs of a porcupine looking for desert one night.

With no weapons on me I had to go hand to hand. I won!, he's fertilizer now.

What the #$(&$) do those squirrels look like that strip bark off trees? Are you near a nuclear waste facility?

TapME
01-18-2009, 08:23 AM
royal; I'm with you had a couple the last few years and they are now gone to better place. They make a great target for a beginning shooter to shoot at by the way. ( I use a high powered pellet gun with pointed pellets it's like a 22)