PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaws your brand and why

dano2840
12-28-2008, 04:46 PM
i know this is a chevy vs. ford question but what do you think is the best saw, and why do you think so, i own a husky and a stihl my self and like both for their own reasons. the stihl is a small saw (its a 026) it revs a little higher than the husky and always starts ( it takes about 8 pulls though) its a light saw and it works well, the thing i dont like about it is its rubber handle shock mechanism so when you pull up on the handle there is some "give" to it, mine rotted out and broke the bottom piece of my handle, i also have a husky 61 i cant complain about it its a dependable saw, the only thing i dont like is that it has almost no power if you are using the top of the bar to cut with (like under cutting a limb) these are both older saws, my moms boyfriend has always been a stihl man he goes through 1 ever year to year and a half, (poor maintenece has a little to do with it) ive run his saws and dont really like the new stihls unless you get into the BIG stihl saws, which seem to be dependable and rugged but alittle to big for me, i feel its the same with the new huskies, only certain models are good rugged machines. (262,357xp,372xp etc.)
im looking at buying a 372xp after sugaring season ( i can afford it then) im not a big kid and some people think its a big saw for me but i ran one for about 3 hrs and had no trouble, so im going to buy one ive heard good things about them exept for their price - $700 but what does every one on the trader like? iwould like to know so that i can buy the right saw for me....

Gary R
12-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Dano,

There was a very lengthy post on this one back this summer. You may want to check it out.

mapleman3
12-28-2008, 05:36 PM
here is some info your looking for... the "search" does wonders

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=4852&highlight=chainsaws

thanks

maple flats
12-28-2008, 05:49 PM
I have never used any Stihl's but I am very satisfied with the 2 Husky's I own. I have a 350 which is really a large homeowner saw which I use for light stuff and trimming. I use either a 18" or 20" bar, whichever is called for. However, if I have a lot of cutting to do i use my 359 with either a 20" or a 28" bar as needed. When I use the 28" bar i have to use full skip chain because the saw is only rated up to a 24" bar with regular chain. When I cut lots of firewood the 359 gets it done much faster than the lighter 350. But both cut well. I do however keep my chains sharp and resharpen as soon as I notice the cut slowing down. I also cut trees/logs for my sawmill so my saws get a good workout during a year. To guage it I mix 5 gal of gas with oil at a time and never have gas over about 6 weeks old, usulaay less than 4 weeks old. That translates to a lot of saw work thruout the year. The 372 you are thinking of is a good saw, and a little heavier and more powerful than my 359. It would be a good choice if you really need that much saw. If not I suggest you check out a 359 or a 357XP. Either will cut as i say, 28" with proper chain. The full skip chain omits every other cutter but it is hard to notice any slower cutting action without a timer on it. Both saws have adjustable oilers and I suggest the higher setting when cutting with a longer bar. Oil works wonders.

jason grossman
12-28-2008, 06:22 PM
dano, i have about 13 years of full time logging under my belt and i have used them all and it really doesn't matter what you use as long as you have some kind of training and all of the personal protective equipment. chaps, hardhat, eyewear, etc. this is most important!!!! everything else is just preference. i have been a state certified master logger for a decade, and never had an injury. training and .p.p.e.!!!! jason

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-28-2008, 07:50 PM
A sharp chain will make the biggest piece of junk look like a good saw while the best saw cutting beside it with a dull chain will look like a piece of junk. I have used most of the major ones and I love my Stihl 310.

MapleME
12-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I bought a Stihl MS280 CBQ last year. Been great, and was my first saw I owned. I wanted to get something big enough I could just have forever and put bigger bars on it. One thing I did really like was the chain adjustment. For a few extra bucks you can get the model with a big wing nut for the chain adjustment, rather than using the two nuts and chain tool. Has worked just as good as the other saws I have used. Also has a second chain shut off, which was a plus.

MapleME

DS Maple
12-28-2008, 07:57 PM
As already mentioned, there is a previous thread with a lot of info already on it. But, I will still say that I would stick with Stihl all the way. I was running a Husky (362 xpg special) at work at the beginning of last week and got so frustrated with the thing I eventually brought my personal saw (stihl 044) in. I find the stihl starts better, has better spacing between the handle and the chain brake thus making the brake easier to use (and the saw safer), and has a much better throttle/choke mechanism. (I find myself knocking the choke in on the Husky and pulling several times before I realize what I did.) Also, Husky has to be cutting corners somewhere in manufacturing now that they are selling their products at places like Home Depot, Lowes and Sears. Such a move often leads to multiple models for different stores making parts quite confusing. They'll have one line for Sears, another for HD and yet another for small dealers. The 372 from the big store might have a slightly different model number from that of one from local dealer, and the parts from one 372 may or may not fit another. Just makes for a nightmare. Stihl saws are only sold at more local, reliable places. Also, it may sound like I'm making this stuff up, but the same thing happened when Ariens started making snowblowers for HD. The model numbers were different from those sold at local dealers, and the part numbers were entirely different too. I once had to help someone fix a belt on an HD machine and of course HD could not get the parts. I went to a local dealer and they could only order the parts for the machines that they sold and were not entirely sure if the parts were exactly the same despite different numbers. It turned out OK and I actually was able to use some random John Deere belt, but still, it was a pain. In other words, I would stay away from brands such as Husky that are going mainstream. It just doesn't work out well for the consumer. Plus, I just like the way the Stihl machines work.

Specklefield Farm
12-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I know it's a loaded question, but I'll answer it ! (both barrels are loaded)

I'd pull a Stihl back and forth across a log before I would buy a Husky!!

Not trying to offend anybody, just my opinion.

MaplePancakeMan
12-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I gotta go with Branden on this one a sharp chain means any of the saws homelite, husky, stihl or even a poulan wild things will cut like a wiz.

I've had some bad experiences with others... other then Stihl however to be fair the Husky's i used weren't mine from the get go, someone else could have abused them and when they got to me they didn't work right when i borrowed them. Homelites now a days are just cheap made... they work when you buy them but any serious cutting and small things go bad quick and they add up after a few years and you've ended up putting the same amount into a cheap saw as you would have if you just bought a good one (husky or stihl).

I took a class on how to sharpen you're chain because its so important now when i feel a little extra drag its time to sharpen. The saw doesn't get as hot, you use less gas and oil, chains last longer, saw last longer and my back doesn't feel as stiff the next day.

I'd say test em out and see what you like best, as others said the stihl chain break is more ergonomically designed in my opinion

Fred Henderson
12-28-2008, 08:59 PM
I went back to an old one man crosscut saw. Now if it don't cut its because I am not pulling on it.

MFarmall
12-28-2008, 09:50 PM
I use a Jonsered 1250 with an 18" bar for most cutting. It is about 6 years old and has plenty of power and the choke is where it doesn't get knocked in when starting. Also a compression release, makes it easier to start in cold temps. The other saw is a Homelite 1050 with a 30" bar, use it just to get the bigger trees down and bucked to shorter lenghts, it is 16 years old and other than being a LITTLE noisy works great.
The main thing as others have said, keep your chain good and sharp, it does make cutting a lot easier on the saw and operator.
Mel

Haynes Forest Products
12-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I think Sthil has the best dealer network and parts availability. Stihl tends to keep junkyard dealers out of the network. I went to Dealer here in Colo and I wanted to buy a saw for a gift and send it UPS and they had to assemble the saw and test run it and then give it to me. It was a pain but it was right. I have a 30 year old Stihl converted from points to electronic and it still runs great. I think the biggest problem is storing it with the gas and oil so all the rubber gets soft and handles pull off but thats my fault.

oneoldsap
12-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Buy the saw that has the best servicing dealer in your area, stay away from hardware and big box stores. It's the guy with the parts that keeps your saw running, they all need service !

dano2840
12-29-2008, 06:07 PM
I went back to an old one man crosscut saw. Now if it don't cut its because I am not pulling on it.

i used a cross cut today funny enough, I NEED TO WORK ON BUILDING UP MY ARMS!!!!!!!!
Any one know where i could take a chain sharpening class in washingtion county? my chains cut very well the first few times i sharpen them but it goes down hill from there

Russell Lampron
12-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I agree with oneoldsap. I have a Stihl and Jonsered dealer 5 miles from my house. I have Stihl saws and he has the parts and supplies that I need. He also has the knowledge that goes along with being a chainsaw dealer.

brookledge
12-29-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd agree with service being the deciding factor. It's like tractors as I travel around the region some areas are predominately green other areas are red and some are blue etc. When you need a part now!!, it is nice to only have to go a few miles vs. calling and having it shipped or driving and wasting a day doing so.
Most farmers don't like to tie up money in parts even though they know they will need it some day.
Keith

sapsick
12-29-2008, 06:39 PM
ive got a stihl and husky dealer within 5 miles of me. ive owned both saws and wont ever but another husky. now i know why my grandfather ran a stihl. he cut wood for a livin and knew what it took to depend on a pice of equipment. also taught me how to file and fix a saw long brfore i ever ran one.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-29-2008, 06:53 PM
For whatever it's worth, most of the timber guys in this area use Stihl. Since this is what they do for a living, I guess they know best. Seems they are tougher and hold up better when ran over with a skidder too.

dano2840
12-29-2008, 07:21 PM
For whatever it's worth, most of the timber guys in this area use Stihl. Since this is what they do for a living, I guess they know best. Seems they are tougher and hold up better when ran over with a skidder too.

hehehe they didnt have any boiling sodas before they started the day did they? even i know better than to leave my saw on the log road.hehehehe

dano2840
12-29-2008, 07:23 PM
what models of stihls do they use? maybe they are like huskies where there are only certain "good" models. ( like the husky 455rancher = POS) (but a husky 372XP=:) )

tuckermtn
12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
stick with the newer stihls- they have excellent power to weight and good anti- vibration

I run two ms361's and one ms440...

but Parker, also a logger, swears by his Huskys (and his Timbco)

-eric

ROBIEZ
12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Stihl is the number one selling chainsaw worldwide. I worked at small engine dealer for several years that sold Stihl,and in that time I only saw one engine failure,NOT operator related. Like others have said, they are running 30 year old Stihls,and I have not seen 30 year old Husky that still run. This is my two cents.

Cardigan99
12-29-2008, 08:32 PM
I ran a Jonsered 670 for years. No doubt a great saw but it was heavy and by the end of the day I was afraid I was going to cut my leg off. I use a Husky 359 now. It's not the 670, but it's about 5lbs lighter and I can get a full days worth of work out of it without hacking off any of my own limbs.

Todd

dano2840
12-29-2008, 08:48 PM
im still hell bent on a 372XP but i may check out a stihl 440 and demo it for giggles

caseyssugarshack93
12-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Stihl all the way..

dano2840
12-29-2008, 08:58 PM
I ran a Jonsered 670 for years. No doubt a great saw but it was heavy and by the end of the day I was afraid I was going to cut my leg off. I use a Husky 359 now. It's not the 670, but it's about 5lbs lighter and I can get a full days worth of work out of it without hacking off any of my own limbs.

Todd

never run a johnsered but i have heard good things about them, my farmer friend has about 12 saws of all brands, but he has 4 670's (2 run) the other 2 need a pull cord , he says they are real heavy saws but have ALOT of power
i might buy a used one just to see if i like the brand.........

markcasper
12-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Stihl 260 Pro, every sugarmaker should have one of these in their tool crib.

Jeff E
12-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I ran a Homelite for years, because thats all I could afford, a 350 Super EZ!!! I cut about 100 cords of fire wood with it. I killed it when I started rip cutting logs for my little cabin (see pics), and then got a used Husky 372xp. UNBELEIVABLE! After getting the saw I walked around like the village idiot, grinning for weeks. The safety features, smooth running, power were great. The only down side was weight for doing light cutting in the woods.

I now have a Husky 261 for woods work, with an 18 inch bar, chisel chain, and the 372 for heavy work, usually used for helping others with big projects, such as storm clean up. I am a Husky fan, but it is because it is the first and last good saw I have run, having never used a Stihl, Jonsrud or whatever.

I agree with the statement about keeping the chain tuned. It will make any decent saw work well. I will say, even a sharp chain wont make me happy with a cheap saw, for lack of quality safety features, vibration control, RPM's, etc.

adk1
12-30-2008, 09:43 AM
hUSKY FOR SURE.

Riverdale
12-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Always have run Jonsered on our farm. Dad had two 670 Champs so that's what I learned on until he bought me a 2050 turbo, great little saw for limbing and light work. Traded one of the 670's in a few years back plus a bundle of cash got a 2186...85ccs weighs the same as the 670 but the added ccs is very noticeable...great saw for felling or bucking logs....makes for a long day just cutting firewood though. A buddy of mine just got a new stihl..can't recall the model, around 70cc...nice saw can't say that I'd switch though

dano2840
12-30-2008, 10:40 AM
i think i will borrow my buddies johnsy 670 and see if i like it

Sugarmaker
12-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Stihl it seems to work each time I pick it up!

gator330
01-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Have you ever heard of a Dolmar? Only one the best saws ever. I must say I did have a Husky 372 that took me ten years with a ton of use to kill. Take care of a good saw and they will last a long time so if you spend 700.00 and it lasts your investment per year gets less and less. Sharp chain and take care of it your good to go. Don't forget to take a look at that Dolmar nice balanced saw with a great feel to them.

Russell Lampron
01-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Do they still sell Dolmars in the US? I have a 114 that spends most of it's time sitting around and there no are dealers in the area anymore.

gator330
01-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Why yes they do! The great thing about them is they have yet to give into the BIG BOX stores! Tractor Supply, Wal-mart... So the're (Dolmar) still a well made saw. My cusine just took over the Family Farm suppy and is turning it into a Power eguipment store. Not much call for Farm suppy stores any more. He picked up the Dolmar line. Before that a guy the other side of town had the line on them. He is now 80 and stating to slow down some. So if your looking they are here. I Can arange shipping if you can't find a dealer and you want one. Or need parts for yours. Great saws!!!! By the way buying a saw from the guy that will fix it for you is always a good idea. The one that bought it at Wal-mart and brings it to that guy to work on. Well he's going to pay a little more to get it fixed. In the long run you maybe better off buying from the little guy.

caseyssugarshack93
01-02-2009, 12:04 PM
yes russ they do a guy about 3 miles away from me sells them redford logging supply.

Elynch77
01-03-2009, 02:30 AM
I have to agree with anyone who has said buy from a dealer not a big box store. There are different models and parts are always going to be an issue. I worked at a small dealer as a two stroke mech. for a few summers while I was in College and learned enough to make a good choice and there are many out there. They sold Stihl, Husky, Echo, and serviced anything anyone brought through the door. Any two stoke needs constant service to run right. Learn how to tune a carb and get a contact tach to set RPM. You just hold it against the spark plug cap and turn the high low screws until you set it at the factory setting. I would also get a chain sharpener since the chain makes the cut. Also buy and wear the PPE. I have seen some scars made buy chainsaws and do not want one.

In short I would suggest you learn how a saw really works. Also if you are cutting alone wear a cell phone or radio that can reach someone and wear it all the time. Almost forgot the standard earplug warning. My wife hates the fact I can hardly hear her so be warned that these saws kill hearing right around the range most women talk. Maybe a blessing, maybe a curse.

Last saw I purchased was a stihl but I love my husky too and have an echo arborist saw I always use for taking tops apart.

Fairfield Sugarmaker
01-03-2009, 07:57 AM
I learned on a Stihl 031, what a rocket but cold blooded, I now have 2 Jonsered 670 champs which are great for blocking & felling but a bit heavy for small jobs so thats why i also have a Jonsered 2152 Turbo which actually gets used the most.

dano2840
01-03-2009, 09:28 AM
i think i will buy a chain sharpener because i start with a new chain and when the chains half worn out (i have been sharpening, its not nearly as sharp after i sharpen as it was when i first got it, i had a used chain that was sharpened w/ a sharpener and threw it on the other day and WOW it was real sharp and it stayed sharp about 3x longer than if i had sharpened it with a file
i need to take a sharpening class any way but i think a sharpener is the way to go

MaplePancakeMan
01-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I've got a sharpener that has the grinding wheels on it if anyone wants one... PM me its a small one suitable for a few chains nothing commercial. i bought it for 60 i'll sell it for 30 i can get pictures. I used it once or twice but i don't need it for the minimal amount of wood i cut. File works fine for me.

supersapper
12-06-2012, 12:40 AM
ya, stilh all the way, stihl won't start,stihl won't run stihl won't cut. jonsred all the way

adk1
12-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Husky all the way for me. I like the sleek design, the Stihl's seem to be bulky.

Kngowods
12-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Exactly just like Chevy vs ford the guy I cut wood with has a husky and talked a TON of ****!!! When I had an older populan. So I bought a Stihl just like a half 8cc BIGGER than his got a full chisel chain shhh that's my secret and now I'm the one talking the **** now!!!! I am very happy with it and all my power tools are Stihl now. Never had a husky but I'm sure there good saws.

adk1
12-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I have heard that those chains are the way to go. Truthfully I run still chains on my husky!

TunbridgeDave
12-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I use both Husqvarna and Stihl saws. My Husky 51(cc) is about 18 yrs old and is on it's last legs. I want a replacement but the newer saws aren't made like the old ones, so I would steer clear of them unless you go with the pro (XP) line. My father-in-law got a 450 from Tractor Supply and it's junk. Very hard to start and it already has a broken (plastic) handle. The Stihl I have is an 039 (65cc). It's about 12 yrs old and it starts very well every time but is a gas hog and heavy. For limbing and small trees the Husky is perfect. I only really use the Stihl for blocking the big stuff because I don't feel like carrying the thing around all day.

I've been very happy with both saws and have never done anything to either of them. We cut about 15 cords of wood every year on the farm, not to mention clearing fence lines etc. I guess if I had a choice for a new saw I would pick the 346xp or 357xp Husky solely for the better power to weight ratio.

boondocker
12-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I have 353XP.....love it. I will never buy another saw. The decompression button on the side of the cylender makes it alot easier to start when cold. I havent had to pull mine more than 3 times to start it even if its sub zero. I run a groomer for my local snowmobile club and i have put my saw on the back rack and groomed for hours and come up on a fallen tree and when i get out of the cab the saw will be completly buried in snow and ice, i will dig it out and two pulls boom running. I highly recommend the XP series.

red maples
12-07-2012, 06:08 AM
I just got the new husky 562XP which is a little overkill for my needs but I love it... that is after I got started after I flooded it ooppss!! (thanks xyz) anyway I used poulans before and I have to say the motors run great but they just fall apart. They are not designed to run at what we put them through. too many pastic parts to break and what is actually metal is just not durable enough to stand up to any extended use. Its a good homeowner saw that might use them to cut up some small stuff. Which I heard the same about the 455 rancher (the big box store husky saw). So I went big and its pricey but honestly so far its worth every penny and I only used it for 1 day for about an hour. It takes a little getting used to because of the huge difference in power.

Bruce L
12-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Get a Husky,make sure it is one of the XP models.We have a 262 XP and a 576 XP autotune,will drop through a log while others are chomping at the bark.Had a little Johnsered 2054?,left it in the woods for 3 weeks,no takers

sapmaple
12-08-2012, 05:50 AM
I've owned stihl's all my life Great saws. Just bought a stihl MS362 and love it even with a 20" bar its quite light and has plenty of power vibration is minimal I like to be able to ajust my own carb with a screw driver and not go to dealer to plug into computer

xulgiy
12-08-2012, 07:52 AM
I have run 025,035,stihl, 272,353,346,372,390,562 husky and 51,73 dolmar. I think they all have there own niceties and problems. Stihl is heavy, but early on had the nicer internal break , so that the rim sprocket was easier to access. most husky pro saws now have that. the husky power to weight is very nice, and they do indeed scream. The dolmar....other than problems with the rubber mounts, really can't be beat for the price! if I were to buy a saw to just cut firewood at home.....dolmar...only for the price. if I had the money, I'd buy 346XP and if I were cutting wood a lot...372, or 562.

Ed R
12-08-2012, 09:10 AM
I bought a 346 xp for myself as a Christmas/birthday present last year. Best present ever. I bought a 16 and a 20 inch bar with it. With the 20 inch bar it feels perfectly balanced. Ive run my uncles stihls saws and I like them but they all feel out of balance and I know Ive been cutting wood when Im done. With the 346 fatigue has not been an issue. Its fun to cut wood again.

Dave Y
12-08-2012, 04:21 PM
After 4yrs i cant believe this horse is still getting beaten.

bemer
12-08-2012, 08:57 PM
The best was Sachs-Dolmar, now Makita.
I have had them all, except the Makita. My Xp-262 is Still(sic) the best, but when I get the new 562 sorted out and narrow kerfed, I think it will take the top spot.
I do have an old Solo modified. Cuts like a raped ape, when it runs, not often.

Russell Lampron
12-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Get a Husky,make sure it is one of the XP models.We have a 262 XP and a 576 XP autotune,will drop through a log while others are chomping at the bark.Had a little Johnsered 2054?,left it in the woods for 3 weeks,no takers

That Jonsered is actually a red and black Husqvarna! It's 53cc which makes it a good firewood saw. Not too small and not too big. If I found it in the woods I wouldn't leave it there.

jimsudz
12-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Swedish over German .