PDA

View Full Version : Pump smoke

Uncle Tucker
12-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I was wondering how much “smoke/exhaust mist/steam, what ever you want to call it” could a piston pump make? The pump is not hot, a little warm, but not hot. The exhaust is not hot if I put my hand in front of it. I found that 19” it doesn’t smoke but at 22” little wisps of smoke. The pump starts to struggle at 25”.

Haynes Forest Products
12-28-2008, 11:29 AM
I would call the manf. and ask them what is the long term outcome from it struggling. I dont think that a little oil mist is a problem. Oil mist from pressurizing oil isnt harmfull its when its from overheating the pump that is harmfull. What type of pump is it? are you overspeeding it? I have a Massport vane vac pump and with the conversion to flood oil system it puts out alot of mist. I put a big reclaimer on it and it cuts way down. I would also keep the mist away from the tanks it will settle on the sap and leave a sheen on it.

sapsick
12-29-2008, 06:14 PM
could be that your oil separator elements are becomind saturated and passing oil. all oil flooded pumps will pass some oil but not enough that you should see.