PDA

View Full Version : NH Carlisle Rules

maple maniac65
12-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Original Carlisle Rules taken from NH Maple Quality Control Manual 1993 by NHDA UNH Extension and NHMPA.
NH winners of first, second, and third places in the “open class” at any established Agricultural Fair in NH will be eligible to compete for the Carlisle Trophy. Final competition for the Carlisle Trophy will take place at the annual meeting of the NH Maple Producers Association and the trophy will be presented at that time. Contestants in the final competition must enter a one-quart sample of syrup in a commercial container. Entries must be delivered to the Secretary of the Association before 10:00am on the day of the annual meeting.
NH agricultural fairs provide maple producers an opportunity to compete for excellence. The awards presented to exhibitors publicly recognizes the skill required to make quality maple products, promotes the individual’s products to consumers, and exhibiting helps to promote maple to the general public as well.
Prospective exhibitors are advised to contact the fair(s) for a copy of their premium book describing the different sections classes and rules for that specific fair.

Amendments to existing Carlisle Rules will read as this:

1) Maple syrup destined for the Carlisle competition, must be designated as a Carlisle entry when entered into a New Hampshire fair. All entries must be produced in New Hampshire, and be entered by the person who produced it.

2) Each entrant must be a paid member of the New Hampshire Maple Producers Association before submitting syrup designated as a Carlisle entry at any fair. There will be no exceptions.

3) The same lot of syrup which won first, second or third place at a New Hampshire fair should be the one entered into the Carlisle competition.

4) Only one entry per sugar house will be allowed into the Carlisle competition of the New Hampshire Maple Producers Association.

5) Only New Hampshire Grade A maple syrup may be considered for the Carlisle competition, and the first place should be awarded to the entry that best represents the characteristics of grade as set forth by the State of New Hampshire Department of Agriculture.

6) All score sheets will be on file with the New Hampshire Department of Agriculture, and will be the official New Hampshire Maple Judging Score Sheet

Amber Gold
04-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Considering entering my syrup into the competition and have questions.

1) What quart size containers are acceptable?

2) Which fairs are accepetable?

3) Does one quart get entered in the local fair and the second at the annual meeting?

4) Any thought to having a Grade B entry?

5) How is the maple syrup judged? I'm guessing color, flavor...anything else?

Thanks

maple maniac65
04-22-2009, 07:48 PM
1) The 2lb honey jar is the only one acceptable in a Carlisle competition.

2) Any NH fair that has a carlisle competition.

3) The same lot of syrup has to be entered at both competitions.

4) Grade B is not considered as a Carlisle entry.

5) Density, flavor, clarity, packaging.

All the rules are posted at the start of this thread.

Amber Gold
04-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks.
Is there a list of fairs that are part of the Carlisle competition?

Amber Gold
01-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I'll be entering my syrup in for the Carlisle Award. Is my syrup due at the annual meeting or another time? Is there anything I need to bring with me other than the syrup?

Thanks

NH Maplemaker
01-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Josh, just bring your syrup! They have a list of winners from fairs! If it would make you feel better and safer, you could bring your slip from your fair showing your placement! Jim L.

red maples
01-23-2011, 05:28 AM
one question I have. If you have a lot of syrup that you entered into a fair for carlisle and lost points for density or clarity or packaging, which are all human error, can you take same lot of syrup and fix it before it is re-entered in another fair or into final judging at the annual meeting?

Russell Lampron
01-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Brad you can fix it to enter it into another fair but you can't enter it at the annual meeting unless it won a 1st, 2nd or 3rd prize at a fair.

Homestead Maple
01-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Hey Russ, did either of the Clarks say what fair they entered their syrup to be eligible for the Carlisle?

red maples
01-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't think they did. at least I don't remember them saying anything. anyway. yep I did know about placing 1 2 or 3. but thanks I wasn't sure.

Russell Lampron
01-24-2011, 05:12 AM
Bill if they did say I don't remember what they said. I don't remember hearing them say which fair it was though.

NH Maplemaker
01-24-2011, 06:22 AM
For those of us who were unable to make meeting,Who own and are they Maple Trader's ?
Thanks Jim L.

Amber Gold
01-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Clark's one...again...they said it was his sixth. He also swore he'd never win again when he got his RO...he stands corrected. I do not recall the names of 2nd and 3rd.

red maples
01-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Either do I. they will probably have it in the next Gathering tank news letter.