PDA

View Full Version : Cast aluminum spiels cleaning.

Maple Restoration
12-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Just wondering if any of you had an easy way to clean the white build up on cast aluminum spiels next to using steel wool. It almost looks like calcium build up?

Haynes Forest Products
12-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Take a gallon milk jug put in handfull of taps handfull sand and gravel little soap and SHAKE RATTLE and ROLL....a little music helps

Dennis H.
12-27-2008, 12:20 PM
I just dump them into a large pot of boiling water for a few minutes to sanitize them, but I may have to try Haynes way next year, I already got my taps cleaned and in ziploc bags ready for go-time.

I guess you could use one of those rock polishers to do the same thing? Heck it wouldn't take much to build something to do the same thing. That gives me an idea!!

tuckermtn
12-27-2008, 04:58 PM
my daughter just got one of the those rock polishers for x-mas so I might also give it a go...

but I typically just boil them for quite a while- perhaps 1/2 hr or more- then into bags till its time to tap...

sapman
12-27-2008, 05:16 PM
I usually brush mine inside and out (sounds ridiculous, but it's during TV time). Actually, my mom did them this year when she was laid up for awhile last spring. Then I boil them.

I know when I had a bunch of old rusty steel spouts, I put them in a cement mixer with a little sand for a bit. Worked like a charm.

Tim

TapME
12-27-2008, 09:54 PM
vinegar and water and boil for a while, takes the build up right off and store in a one gallon bucket with a lid. this is my way.

Maple Restoration
12-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the tips I just did not want to replace all 250 of them not quite sure why they turned white but I am going to give them a try!

markcasper
12-28-2008, 02:08 AM
aluminum corrosion (rust)

Maple Restoration
12-28-2008, 06:45 PM
no not rust but a white powder build up like calcium not sure what it is.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-28-2008, 06:55 PM
The build up of a white powdery surface is usually aluminum oxide and it is the equivalent of aluminum rust. It is why aluminum pots and pans don't stay shiny like aluminum foil. It's good to get it cleaned off so it doesn't give a place for bacteria to grow.