PDA

View Full Version : Screw in mainline anchors

Dave Y
12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
I have been experincing a very annoying problem this year wth my expansion project. I anchor one end of my mainlines with the screw insulated fence anchor ,they are 3/8. I have had at least a doz of them break. They all berak at the bend. When this first started I thought it was caused by them not being side tied and they would undulate in the wind. But after being close to several when the broke I do not think this is the problem. I dont think I am over tighening them, as the ones I put in last year are perfoming well. Any one have any thoughts on this subject.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Weld the eye where it closes

RICH

Russell Lampron
12-23-2008, 06:06 PM
It sounds like the ones that you got this year aren't as strong as the ones that you used last year. Maybe they cracked the metal in the bend when they were manufactured. I use 3/8" closeline hooks and haven't had any problems.

Dave Y
12-23-2008, 07:37 PM
ogden,
There is no eye. It is an electric fence corner anchor.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-23-2008, 08:17 PM
ok misunderstanding

RICH

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-23-2008, 08:28 PM
I run my wire around the end tree inside a good heavy mainline piece of pipe and leave plenty of room for the tree to grow but I am not running extremely long mainlines with a lot of tension but I have never had a problem with this.

Dave Y
12-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Brandon,
I have done the same thing and still do. However these are short mainlines. I actually refer to them as side lines. On this section I have a trunk line running 2000ft down the face of the hill to the road. then I have 200ft side lines coming in off of each side. These are the ones I am having problems with. I like to have one end anchored permeantly to help keep the grade. For no apparent reason they are breaking. I'm talking like 15 of them. a real pain.