PDA

View Full Version : atv log arch

jcb
12-22-2008, 05:29 AM
Has anyone used atv log arch ? How well do they work? All the ads have them skidding big logs, seems like it would be fine in a field but out in wood might be a different story. I have some spots in my wood lot that are a bit tight for the tractor and I was thinking the ATV arch might work.

Thanks

Jim

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Never used one for the ATV but I have used one with the horses. In my estimation, an arch about doubles the size of a log that they can haul.

sapsick
12-22-2008, 06:31 PM
yeah ive used one quite a bit and it works great. behind my honda 450 foreman i can haul white birch 16" on the but by about 24' long on hand built trails. really low impact. i do abotu 5-6 cord of firewood a year for the house this way.

NH Maplemaker
12-23-2008, 08:56 AM
I borrowed one from my cousin last year. I also used Honda 450 foreman! As sapsick said it worked great!! The way they had it set up, You had to pick the butt end of the log to hook it to the arch. That's OK if your 30 as he is, but I'm 63 so not so great. I put a choker chain around butt of log and used a chain hoist to lift it ! That worked real well. If I build one I will us a small electric winch on arch to lift logs

adk1
12-30-2008, 03:18 PM
IF YOU ARE serious about doing that stuff, check out Novajack site. they have the best stuff out there.

Toby
12-30-2008, 06:50 PM
I built one when i was cutting wood with a 4-wheeler and it worked really well. I used a hand winch to pick up the end of the logs. Picking the end of the log up a couple of inches is enough to make the pull much easier. The best I ever pulled was an oak about 20" diameter and 20 feet long. I havent used the arch in a while and it's kind of in the way, so if you're interested in it let me know i could probably part with it and put some more money into my sugaring! Here's a pic, I have other pictures if you're interested

Toby
01-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I just checked out millerswoodcuttign.com, it's pretty neat. do you have any pics of the processor you built?