PDA

View Full Version : Hand Held Refractometer question

Bucket Head
12-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi Guys,

Does anybody out there use a Misco brand hand held refractometer?

If so, do you like it. Does it work like they say it does?

I'm thinking about investing in one and was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on them.

If it works right, it seems that it would do away with the "margin of error" that goes along with the thermometers and hydrometers.

Just pushing a button and reading the display sounds good. Either I have syrup or I don't have syrup. No temperature correcting.

What does everybody think?

Steve

Bucket Head
12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Come on, nobody out there has one of these? Nobody out there has ever seen one work? I don't beleive it for a minute.

A representitive from Misco was at last years V.V.S Maple Conference and I know a lot of you guys attended. So I know some of you know what I'm talking about, and most of you at least took a look at them.

Anybody think their worth the investment?

Steve

802maple
12-22-2008, 10:27 PM
I haven't personally used this one, but I have used several others and they are good for a quick check but they have to be checked by a hydrometer to make sure they are calibrated right, or atleast the others are. I also am interested in what people have to say about these.

Riverdale
02-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Just wanted to bring this post back to life to see if anyone new has used the Misco eMaple refractometer???? I am now looking to invest in one as well.....looks like it's right up there with sliced bread...

Bucket Head
02-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Riverdale,

I'm glad you brought it back to life. I should have updated it.

I did buy one of these at the VVS Maple Conf. in January. A friend of mine, who is also a producer, bought one as well. However, we have not used them yet.

I liked the idea of being able to test sap and syrup, at any temperature. I look forward to trying it.

The company rep. told me that Cornell, Univ. of Vermont, and Ohio Univ. all use this refractometer. So I figured if it was good enough for them, it would be good enough for me.

I can tell you that a gentleman walked past my father in the hall at VVS while he was holding the unit and said with a big smile, "Oh, you bought one of those, you'll love it, I bought one and its the best thing I ever bought!".

So that guy is with you on the sliced bread thing. I'm pretty sure I will be too after I use it.

Steve

Riverdale
02-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Bucket,

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad to hear some good stuff on it. I plan on buying some sap this year from a kid up the road so it will be nice to test it when he delivers. It's been ordered! How do you plan on collecting just a drop of syrup for the test?

Looking forward to using it and sharing about it on the trader

NH Maplemaker
02-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Which model did you guys buy? Would be nice to get one that will do both syrup and sap!!

Jim L.

Riverdale
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
It's called the eMaple digital refractometer by Misco. Expensive but looks great.

NH Maplemaker
02-25-2009, 12:01 PM
I did a Google search of there web site, But they didn't show that one on there ! That's why I was asking ! Thanks.

Jim L.

Bucket Head
02-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Riverdale,

You only need a few sample drops in the test well. A few eye dropper type things come with the unit. You could probably dunk any utensil in the sap and then quickly hold it over the test well and just let it drip off a few times.

The model I got is PA202X. MISCO Palm Abbe Digital Refractometer. I also got the storage case and the protective rubber cover for the unit itself. Just a little extra protection/padding incase I drop it sometime.

Steve

Riverdale
02-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the tip Steve.
I ordered the same unit that you have, from the Misco website and it's backordered, they are hoping to ship it out mid-next week. I'll have it for the majority of the season anyway...just not this first run!

NH Maplemaker, check out the maple guys website they have a few different Misco models as well as the new eMaple.

Brent
02-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I have the 202 model Misco Palm Abbe as well. With a Marcland logo on it as well.

It's not quite as simple as dropping and reading. When you get it read the bit about the temp compensation. Then try some syrup or sugar water in the kitchen. Start hotter than the instrument and take a quick reading as soon as the drop lands, then try again in 15 secconds and repeat until the numbers stop changing. You will quickly see the temp comp takes a bit of time to stabilize.

I like it and will use it in the bush more this year. If I find some low sugar trees I'll watch to see if they stay low, but then I'll mark them so I don't waste time boiling water.

emo
03-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I have an older refractometor donated to me by my father-in-law; have to look though to get a reading. It only uses 2-3 drops to get a reading. He used to use when he did fruit nectar drinks with Nestle. It has three scales, 0-42, 42-70 and 70-90. I found it does not work well in full sunlight, too much light. It works best with warm to cool sap/syrup and in-door lighting. Have used it for four years to check sugar level, work really well.

Brent
03-03-2009, 10:33 PM
I looked at the specs for the Emaple and they are identical to the 202 model so far as I can see. I think it's just a bit of market hype to put that name on it.

maple sapper
03-04-2009, 09:09 AM
The emaple is just the name for marketing. A woman who works at misco told me that one day when I called about my shipment.

As far as my experience, you definitely need to let it stabilize. They say 10 sec. but I think its more like 45+. At least it seems that way when you got a pan of syrup and you want to know to pull the lever or not. 45 secs is a long time when things are ripping. I bought one for checking sap and syrup when I do small fall batches to make gifts for christmas for my family and friends. It really is helpful when you have a small batch (not enought to fill hydrometer cup. I suppose I could always use or make a skinny cup. So what I found works best for small batches was to get it close, shut down heat let it steam off and then check when at room temp. if it needed more heat warm it till it was right. If it went over, add distilled water (very little at a time) till it got right on the money. On the evaporator, I use it to see how progress is when pan is getting sweetend up and just use it to monitor how each channel varries (playing around with curisoity). If you are going to use it for the final product I would reccomend the hydrometer for faster readings. The refractometer is also good for double checking bottles or just before bottling and other times when you would want to double check with out taking out the whole hydrometer and cup during off season.