PDA

View Full Version : Maple Apple Jam

Specklefield Farm
12-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Making a batch of this tomorrow, it wont be here past Dec. 26 with the family around. Try it out and let me know what you think. It only takes about an hour to make, and I'm an absolute idiot in the kitchen!!

INGREDIENTS:

6 cups diced peeled apples (cut into 1/8" cubes)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon butter
1 (1.75 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
3 cups sugar
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:

In a 6 quart kettle, combine the apples, water, syrup and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until apples are soft. Stir in pectin and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add the sugars & cinnamon and return to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from the heat and skim off any foam. Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

MaplePancakeMan
12-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll do it Tuesday Night and see how it comes out... sounds good to me and i'd be pretty certain that you could do it with any fruit... maybe make some with my yellow raspberries that i grow in the spring!

Thanks!

Gary R
12-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Sounds good Specklefield. I'll have to try make it some day. Thanks for posting the complete directions.

The Sappy Steamer
12-22-2008, 05:54 AM
Sounds like a good recipe Specklefield. Do you happen to know how many jars it makes?

Jim Brown
12-22-2008, 06:45 AM
I would think if you would like a greater Maple flavor you should be able to sub the brown sugar with maple sugar.

I'll have the sec-tres. at my house give it a try and let you knw

Thanks
Jim

Specklefield Farm
12-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Sappy Steamer--It makes about 7 or 8 1/2 pint canning jars