PDA

View Full Version : source for "super" trees

Acer
12-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Friend stopped by today and mentioned he would like to buy some ( a few hundred) small sugar maples. Told him if he was going to he ought to get some nursery stock that was selected for high sugar. Anyone have a source?
He is young enough he might even get to tap them.

tom jr.
12-19-2008, 07:21 PM
I think i seen some on ebay.

TapME
12-19-2008, 07:30 PM
There's a sub species of silver maple that has a high sugar%. The gentleman that I bought my pans from said that they planted silvers in Iowa and they were yielding up to 5%. Anybody else here of these trees?

tuckermtn
12-19-2008, 11:04 PM
we tapped three silver maples in British Columbia last year- semi-urban trees- big crowns, never been tapped, etc...the lowest sugar we got was 3.5% - mostly stayed around 4%. Syrup was very passable as maple syrup- but lacked more of the smokey, more mapley taste. 3 taps, 10 days, 1 gal of syrup. Makes me think again about silvers...

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-20-2008, 04:28 AM
Acer,
Uihlein Maple Research center in Lake Placid NY has been working on developing super sweet trees. They had some seedlings for sale a year or so ago. I don't know what the current status is. Try contacting them.

Fred Henderson
12-20-2008, 05:08 AM
There is a nursery about 2 miles from me that has them. They have become popular and the demand is very high for them. Try Saint Lawrence Nurseries.
Web site www.sln.potsdam.ny.us, email trees@sln.potsdam.ny.us.
In his catalog he list a sweet sap silver maple-1-3 foot high $22.00 each. When he first introduce them 3 years ago they were like 3 bucks each. He usually ships his entire crop to Vt.

maplehound
12-20-2008, 10:15 AM
The Ohio State nursery in Marrieta had a large plot of themn growing. They where supposed to be ready for shipping this spring, However, the state decided that the nusery hasn't shown a profit in years so the desion was made to close the nusery. I haven't heard what is happening with the stock on hand. I was told that they were closing this past fall but thought they should wait till after the harvest in the spring. YOu may try contacting them to see what is happening.

Acer
12-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks,

I have forwarded this thread to my friend.
Maybe we'll see him here in a few days.

D

sapman
12-20-2008, 04:18 PM
I bought four trees from the Uihlein Center last summer during camping. They get $5/each. Not sure if they ship or not. They are working with RPM research to produce fast growing trees. I believe that price is to be $30/tree.

Tim

softmaple
12-20-2008, 06:09 PM
i bought 2 super sweet trees last year from st lawrence nursery. they were very helpful. we were up at st lawrence university last spring and i heard of him and found him by luck driving up a street. so he shipped them to me. i planted them and they have not grown too much this year yet and hope next year they grow. he said it should be tappable in seven years. i will have to see about that.

mfchef54
12-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I heard through the grape vine that the problem with them, because of their high sugar content that the bugs really love them.