PDA

View Full Version : heiniken mini kegs

tuckermtn
12-14-2008, 06:37 PM
thinking out loud here...anyone looked at the Heiniken mini kegs as a small syrup storage container? Think they were rated at 5 liter (+/- 5 quarts). without buying one I couldn't quite tell what the valve set up was...

might have to get one to see how they work...and enjoy a few pre-season boiling sodas in the process...

-tuckermtn

brookledge
12-14-2008, 08:26 PM
I think they are alluminum. Not much more than a large soda can. But I could be wrong. I know I looked at one many years ago and tossed it.
Keith

markct
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
yea i had the same idea when i saw one in the trash at work a few months back, i was a bit disapointed tho after scratching at the edge of it and finaly bumping it with the grinding wheel to see no sparks thus they appear to be aluminum. they are plated tho or something so they look more like stainless i guess.

tuckermtn
12-15-2008, 06:55 PM
I wasn't sure if they were alum. on the outside and something else on the inside...now that I think of it, it would be pretty silly to make something out of stainless that is a single use...thanks for humoring me with these random jugging questions...

markct
12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
one idea that has struck me while in a discount house the other day, they had stainless pots that were pretty deep, and pretty cheap, i couldnt help but picture taking two and welding them to each other to form a cheap stainless barrel of a few gallons capacity. probably wont bother since i already have a couple kegs around that i gota weld bungs into but it was a stainless thought. i find i cant see a stainless item and not think of its possible sugaring uses!

tuckermtn
12-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Markct- I hear what your saying about eyeying stainless...

true sign of a maplehaulic I suspect

3% Solution
12-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Tucker Mtn,
Wouldn't it be fun emptying those little kegs if they were stainless?????

Dave

sapsick
12-17-2008, 08:12 PM
sounds like everyone here has a litle of the "crow" gene. you know the one that makes you pick up anything thats shiny and do something with it.

Haynes Forest Products
12-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Im cleaning out my storage as we speak and putting the shiny stuff on Ebay if you want to see shiny go to item no. 150316601379 now thats shiny