PDA

View Full Version : 12/11 Nor'easter

maplwrks
12-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Any of you southern Vt or northern Mass producers seeing ice?? Here in the Champlain Valley, we are looking at a foot or more of snow before it's over.
If you're in that ice band right now---you better say a little prayer for your trees before you go to bed!!! The Connecticut river valley of Vt. is forecast to recieve 11/2" of ICE!!

sapsick
12-11-2008, 07:50 PM
here on the edge of the western mountains in maine the forecast is just as bleek. gettin plenty of practice feeding the woodstove tonite!!

Specklefield Farm
12-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah, we're getting it right now. The sugar maple branches that normally touch the upstairs windows are laying across the Jeep right now. I'm hoping the power stays with us, as we were warned at 5:30 am of extended power outages.

Cardigan99
12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
25 degress and the corn snow is piling up here.

partsrus1974
12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
there calling for an 1" plus of ice here in stephentown.(just south of bennington VT)I hope there Wrong!!!IF NOT its going to be a mess

mountainvan
12-11-2008, 08:16 PM
We've been under an ice storm warning all day. I was up on the mountain this morning and when I got up a ways it was nice and icy. It's 33 down at the house right now, up on the mountain hopefully the trees are doing ok.

partsrus1974
12-11-2008, 08:23 PM
time to get the sap buckets ready for all the broken branches:(

MapleME
12-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Here in Mid Coast Maine is just starting to ice. I had a conference call with the State Emergency Management and it looks like things are going to get ugly for the western part of Maine- maybe n inch or so of ice plus 12-14" of snow up north.
Good night trees, hello snowmobiles!

TapME
12-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Here in the foothills it is still sleet, about an 1 1/2''. It could go away and it would be OK with me.

MaplePancakeMan
12-12-2008, 12:39 AM
We have over 1/2" of ice and looking to get more over night. trees are sagging and snapping. Its a bad situation. Weather said we'd get mostly rain. not a stitch of just a rain to be found. Its been freezing rain all day and night so far. Power is still with us though so thats the silver lining.

adk1
12-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Well, I woke up to 10" of heavy snow, then sleet and now back to snow.

maplecrest
12-12-2008, 09:15 AM
two inches of snow and then all rain. icing on trees now. but still have power

adk1
12-12-2008, 09:19 AM
anyone from Central NY give me the weather outlook/conditions..IE, on I88 area to Ithaca???

colt454
12-12-2008, 09:33 AM
anyone from Central NY give me the weather outlook/conditions..IE, on I88 area to Ithaca???

I was in Ithaca this morning and it was slow boing but steady take your time and you will be ok

adk1
12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
what are the predicitions for tonight? my guess lake affect and temps dropping.

colt454
12-12-2008, 09:55 AM
1 to 3 inches tonight they only about 6 inches on the ground now

NH Maplemaker
12-12-2008, 10:33 AM
It's around 11:30 am and 35 degrees here in Cornish, NH .We are located on the Conneticut river a cross from Winsor VT. The trees have a light coat of ice covering them and about 2" of snow on the ground. The pine trees are taking it a little hard,But every thing else is doing ok for right now! I'm hoping we will not get any more . What a mess !

NH Maplemaker

Buckeye mapler
12-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Here in SW Ohio we are having just a few flurries and snow squalls, but what is odd and why I posted was we are having occassional thunder with it. hope the ice and travels poblems clear up soon for you all.

white mt
12-12-2008, 04:35 PM
In nh the gov has called a state of emergency . not bad in my area, but to the south the say close to 400,000 without power, thats about half the state pop. so we dont know how our maple guys to the south made out yet. The pictures on the tv look real bad with all the ice piling up on the tree limbs . Now they say we are headed for low temps. I feel for the guys in southern nh /mass Dan

mountainvan
12-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Our ice turned into hard rain and we have some flooding from water off of the mountain behind the house.

maple flats
12-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Here in central NY we got 6" of heavy wet snow and only a breef session of freezing rain, then the temp went above freezing. I was in the woods this PM and the hemlock branches are hanging heavy but no problem for the maples. In a few days i will walk the lines to look for damage to lines, didn't see any today. I guess we lucked out so far. Sure hope you guys come out of this OK.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-13-2008, 04:54 AM
Don't know if it would help or how to get it there but I have a 12 Kw, PTO powered generator that I would loan out. I've been through this kind of mess (went without power for 3 weeks in '98). People were glad to help and I'd be glad to return some favors.

tuckermtn
12-13-2008, 01:08 PM
we lost power on Friday about 2:30am- think they are talking about monday or tuesday before power is back... scattered outages- about a mile down the road there is power ...been hanging out with friends and neighbors for meals, showers, etc......storm seems to have effected softwoods more than hardwoods...our hardwoods got hit hard in the 98 ice storm so I guess they have been pruned already...time to get out and "walk the line"...

best of luck out to folks out there...

Parker
12-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Just got power back-those fellas that work for the power co. do one hell of a job! I thought it would be at least till mon. befor we had power,,,lines down everywhere!!!
The girls and I checked on the Hoit road woods,,fair damage there,,curious how everything ealse looks,,,need to get the lines back off the ground befor we have a foot of snow! Work to do!!

The Maple Men
12-14-2008, 07:16 AM
well we got hit real hard trees down every where power poles down every where. and stll no power thank god for the generator. i am now getting ready to grad a coffe and a box of tissues and go walk the line. there will be no fixing today just damage assesment. still to many trees down on and around the house and driveway to stat fixing lines yet but i need to atleast check to see what i am up against. wish me luck

tuckermtn
12-14-2008, 12:59 PM
just got back from checking the lines in our main bush...virtually no damage...lucked out...

as a bonus found out the landowner we pump out at for the main sugarbush brought in whole bunch of fill so we can now back right up to the bottom of the mainlines...no more sap ladder to get to the tank site...

best of luck to folks out there...sounds like Mass and NH got hit the hardest...

mapleman3
12-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Our Association Coordinator is in Ashfield Ma. they got hit pretty hard, I think he is around 3-4000 taps. he's got a mess there, mainlines broken, many trees down, tree tops and limbs everywhere he figures he lost about 20% of his taps I guess many trees have been stripped of limbs.
He sent me a picture of all the trees and ice. awful!