PDA

View Full Version : log splitter

forester1
12-09-2008, 07:17 AM
I thinking of buying one. I looked at a Wallenstein 36" cut 27 ton for $3400. Also at Lowes the Troybuilt 27 ton 24" for $1400. Both have Honda engines. Any experience with either? Hard to justify an extra $2000 for 36". I wonder about the wedge on the hydraulic cylinder as on the troybuilt vs. the wedge on the beam as on the wallenstein. Seems like it would be more potential problems, although the tip-up feature is nice. I want to split about 10-20 full cords a year.

VtSugarhouse
12-09-2008, 07:54 AM
I would recommend a "timber wolf" log splitter. I use a tw-5 and have used other types of splitters. I guess I must be getting old because the hydraulic lift to lift up heavy blocks sure is nice nearing the end of the day.
You may pay a little more but this splitter can do a lot of wood easily.
www.timberwolfcorp.com

Maplewalnut
12-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Jerry,

I have a 31 ton troybuilt and there is one big factor I do not like. When the ram retracts into the clinder it tends to grab all the wood spliters and bark and pulls them in a poorly designed cavity under the cylinder but on top of the I beam. What happens is that if you do not continually clean out this area it builds up to a point where it will not let the wedge retract all the way. I actually had this build up and when the wedge retracted automatically and tried to pull back all the way,the hydraulics snapped the rabbit ears where the ram attachs to the wedge. The could go back not further (due to the build up) and the ram did not get to the reset point.

adk1
12-09-2008, 08:11 AM
I bought a used 21 ton NTD splitter off a friend of mine. I love it. But it is an older one. When I was in the market for one, I would have definatly bought a Huskee splitter from Tractor Supply. They are by far the best splitter around for the money. they have a 22 ton and a 27 ton.
As far as the Timberwolf splitters go, If you are getting into the business of selling firewood or if you just have cash burning in your pocket, they are the way to go. The guy I bought my splitter off of bought a TW-5 with the hydraulic lift. Yes, they are nice and they are super fast. You can get 5 way or 7 way wedges with them and they have autoforeward and returns on them. All for a mere $5k used I think!

adk1
12-09-2008, 08:14 AM
I bought a used 21 ton MTD splitter off a friend of mine. I love it. But it is an older one. When I was in the market for one, I would have definatly bought a Huskee splitter from Tractor Supply. They are by far the best splitter around for the money. they have a 22 ton and a 27 ton.
As far as the Timberwolf splitters go, If you are getting into the business of selling firewood or if you just have cash burning in your pocket, they are the way to go. The guy I bought my splitter off of bought a TW-5 with the hydraulic lift. Yes, they are nice and they are super fast. You can get 5 way or 7 way wedges with them and they have autoforeward and returns on them. All for a mere $5k used I think!

hard maple
12-09-2008, 08:21 AM
I've owned two Timberwolve's, both nice machines.
Just remember if you get a tip up design I don't think they have the option of a four way wedge.

forester1
12-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I got the brochure from timberwolf and they look like good machines. The nearest dealer is over 350 miles away, so thats a problem. I'll check out the Huskees. There is a new TSC about 60 miles away from me, so I was going to go there and get some wire anyway.

MapleME
12-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Jerry, Look at wood wolf splitters. I know they are not close to you, but ****, for the price they are phenomenal. I have cut about 4 or 5 cord on it and its just sooo much faster than a hydraulic splitter. Granted, maybe 1 or 2 out of 25 logs which are hard wood need to be "hit" with the ram twice, but you cant beat the speed. They have a good video onlinehttp://thewoodwolf.com/Pricing%20and%20Ordering%20Info.html

Because I have been cutting mostly syrup sticks for the evaporator, it saved a boat-load of time. Im cutting big logs to 10 or 12 sticks and its just so fast.

Th engine is made in a honda plant in Japan, and all parts are identical to Honda- not labeled Honda though. I posted on my research and purchase on another thread if you do a search. Wood splitters have been discussed in length here.

Wood wolf worth considering if you dont have geographical issues. Not sure if he ships them or not.

MapleME

tuckermtn
12-09-2008, 05:28 PM
we have had problems with the hydraulic filter housing set up on our timberwolf TW-3 3 pt hitch splitter. Timberwolf sent a different housing and filter free of charge- but it still blows the seal where the filter screws on...pain in the a$$. I'll stay away from TW for a while...

just my .02...

super sappy
12-09-2008, 05:52 PM
My 2 cents here - Side by side an AMERICAN wood splitter is built stronger. About the same $ as a timber wolf. We have a local dealer that carries both so you can look at them side by side and compare. Dealer even said that you are paying for a paint job now. Took him a wile to say it but he did . Wasnt like that 1.5 years ago. Dont matter to me at this point I cant afford either. -SS

Haynes Forest Products
12-10-2008, 01:34 AM
tuckermtn How can the oil filter blow the seal if its on the suction side? or did someone put it on the valve discharge side thats a NO NO

tuckermtn
12-10-2008, 05:57 AM
the filter housing was on top of the hydraulic tank...kept blowing by the seal...pressure was building up somehow...

TapME
12-10-2008, 07:35 AM
sounds like a hose had a kink or blockage. The other thing is the pump is to big for the system.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-10-2008, 07:47 AM
filter should be on the return hose going into the tank

RICH

dano2840
12-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Are there any splitters for made comercially that will split 4 foot sugar wood? and wood for our out door furnace? or is my only option to build a bigger one
right now i have a homemade on built off a 10" ibeam and its about 250lbs of tung weight to lift on to the hitch of my tractor, im not a very big kid ether. its run off the tractor pto and will splitt about 30-32 inch wood.
Should i just build a new one?

Russell Lampron
12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
I have an American wood splitter that splits 4 foot wood. I don't know if they still make the 4 foot splitters anymore though.

NH Maplemaker
12-10-2008, 12:28 PM
TSC has a couple wood spliter on sale right now! Just google TSC and look a couple down in the list and you will see TSC flyer! click and view there flyer of the week.

NM Maplemaker

tuckermtn
12-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I know you can custom order a Timberwolf splitter so that it will split 48" wood...