PDA

View Full Version : new to drop flue. ?

ejmaple
12-07-2008, 12:53 PM
i upgraded to a grimm 2x4 drop flue rig, and was wondering how one would empty the flue pan (between the flues), once your daily boil is finished. this probably sounds like silly question but i've never seen nor used anything other than a flat pan rig.
also i would just like to thank all of the maple trader users, i've learned so much.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-07-2008, 01:01 PM
ej some drop flue pans have a pipe plug that drains your flues. mine is older and doesnt so to drain it i use a electric drill with a pump. rig up some fittings to get down to a 3/8 hose that will fit in the flues and suck them out. But i only do it maybe 2 times a season 1 if it really freezes up for a few days or 2 if its Time to clean the pan.

RICH

NH Maplemaker
12-07-2008, 03:23 PM
ej, after you have boiled a large amount of water out of the sap, there is more sugar than water in the flues. It takes a lot harder freeze before the sugar could freeze hard enough To hurt the pan!! But as Rich said, Hard freeze or long period of cold you should drain your pans.

NH Maplemaker

NH Maplemaker
12-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Most people don't drain there pans after every boil.

super sappy
12-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Set some pails on the floor - Siphon with a piece of 5/15 tubing. -SS

peacemaker
12-07-2008, 04:51 PM
put a heat lamp in the fire and shut down the satck and close the door ... wont freeze up

HHM-07
12-07-2008, 05:00 PM
ejmaple

I have a 2x4 drop flue rig and if i think it is going to get cold o freeze the flues hard i put a heat lamp in the the arch and aim it at the flues, seems to work good keeps the entire back pan thawed I am asuming you have power in your shack

HHM-07
12-07-2008, 05:01 PM
ejmaple

I have a 2x4 drop flue rig and if i think it is going to get cold o freeze the flues hard i put a heat lamp in the the arch and aim it at the flues, seems to work good keeps the entire back pan thawed I am asuming you have power in your shack

Dick

Uncle Tucker
12-07-2008, 07:01 PM
ej
Your not doing bach boiling any more. after a day of boiling, flood the pans about 2 ro 3 inches deep and plug between the pans. The next time you boil, build the fire, get a hard boil and remove the plug.

ejmaple
12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
thanks all for the responses, you guys are great.