PDA

View Full Version : Why not copper?

Clan Delaney
12-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Considering that copper conducts heat 25 times better than stainless steel, why don't we see evap pans made from copper?

Or has anyone?

RileySugarbush
12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I've heard of old pans of copper, as well as copper pots being used. It is not as strong so it would probably be thicker. Kind of expensive too.

I made some drop tube flues for my old steam table pans that were made of copper water hammer arresters. They worked really well.

Haynes Forest Products
12-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I pasted on a set of copper pans it was the cleaning that makes them a pain you have to scrub every inch to get the tarnish off before using. Plus the solder no other way they were put together.

Flat47
12-06-2008, 08:03 AM
I remember seeing a copper syrup pan at Bascoms many years ago. It was probably 4' by 4', Grimm-built, and wicked expensive.

I think when soldering was the popular (maybe only) means of construction that copper may have been a consideration. But, technology in stainless (430 v. 304) and welding stainless has advanced to the point where welding is THE means of construction. Add in the ease of cleaning, the sanitation, and the health advantages of welded stainless and it pretty much rules out copper.

But, I hear that if you really really want a copper pan, Leader (through the old GH Grimm) will make one for you. I bet the price tag would be impressive to say the least.

Haynes Forest Products
12-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Most the brew kettles for beer are copper but they are riveted and dont have any down time to oxidize.

Uncle Tucker
12-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I went to Bascomes this morning and saw the copper syrup pan(6x6) I think. I looked at the price and forgot it, but I did say holy crap ($4000) I think.

Beer breweries use copper boiling keteles because the copper adds enzimes that help the yeast grow.

Big maple
12-06-2008, 03:56 PM
We just sold our cpper pans. They were made in 1946 . They were the same gauge as our new pans but the copper pans boil like crazy.

maple flats
12-06-2008, 07:27 PM
There is a sugarhouse about 20 miles from me that has a copper evaporator. It was used for a long time but the owner retired from syrup making a couple of years ago. I have not seen it, but a friend in his eighties was going to take me to visit last year but when he checked he found out about the guy's retirement.

VA maple guy
12-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I made a copper drop flue pan a couple years ago. I used 1"x 5" copper
pipe for the flues. I did not solder it together, I used silfoss, it's what the
ac guys use to put together your copper ac lines.
Gerry

Brian Ryther
12-06-2008, 08:27 PM
FLAT47,
Copper Brew kettles are welded. I have welded copper several times. It is a nice has a nice clean finish when you are done.

lpakiz
12-06-2008, 08:29 PM
I am wondering how you weld copper?? Thanks for any info...

Brian Ryther
12-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Copper has a very low melting point. For 1/2" pipe I would use a pulse setting of 75hz, low amp of 20 and high amp of 60. 75% @ high amps. I also like using a ss308 fill wire. Concentrate the arc on the fill wire = less chance of burn through. The SS against the copper has a nice finish look. Don't forget to back purge.