PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Hot Float

AGR1093
12-05-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a small brothers 2x6 lightening, raised flue. The hot float is leaky, it fills half way with sap, then tips and won't seal the valve. New valve and float would be at least $100. Has anyone had a tiny drain plug put in one of these? We have several machine shops that could probably have drill a little hole, and thread in a little plug. I was thinking about balance though, if a little sap in the float tips and ruins the seal, probably an ounce or 2 of plug and weld would too, right? Any thoughts? Just compensate on the opposite side of the float with some sort of weight?

Haynes Forest Products
12-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Check the bracket on the float there should be a compensation tube that equalizes the air pressure as the float heats and cools. Check to see if there is a crack at the weld. Hold your finger over the tube and hold under water and squeze the float it should bubble at the leak. If you didnt have the tube on the float it would bulge when heated and warp and split. Small pin holes can cause them to take on water.

WF MASON
12-06-2008, 04:14 AM
If the float is old twenty years and its soldered it might just be rusted through. Sometimes a drop of solder can fix it, sometimes there are many pin holes and its rusting from the inside out. If its welded , which I dought, it could be welded to fix it. A hundred bucks sounds like alot for a float, but it would last another twenty years and be made with better grade stainless than the orignal one.

partsrus1974
12-06-2008, 06:42 AM
silicone it,I used it on mine 3 years ago has not leaked since

tuckermtn
12-06-2008, 06:58 AM
if your thinking of silicone, find food grade...

http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/silicones-unlimited-su5005-food-grade-silicone-clear-103oz-p-2283.html

or something like it...

NH Maplemaker
12-06-2008, 11:57 AM
You may want look in your area for sheet metal shop. They may be able reproduce your float for less than one hundred bucks!! But maybe not these days!

NH.Maplemaker

AGR1093
12-06-2008, 03:12 PM
The link for that silicone looks pretty good, but what about getting the sap that is in there out? I suppose the silicone would probably work good, because if there was a big pressure difference, it would probably expand, right? Also, if I needed, I could scrape off the silicone, empty and then re-seal.