PDA

View Full Version : sugar maple borer

Acer
12-04-2008, 05:54 AM
Have quite a few sugars that have sugar maple borer damage.
Woods are overcrowded at this point. Will these trees respond to release or should I use 'em for firewood. girdling ranges from 20% to 80%. trees are 8-14" diameter.

Dean

forester1
12-04-2008, 06:44 AM
I would save them over other species. Open up the crowns on two sides. If sugar maples are competing, then take out the one with the worst damage. If the borer girdled more than 1/2 the bole then there is a very high risk of the tree breaking at the borer wound as the crown expands.

Acer
12-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks forester.
Was thinking these trees are mixed with white oak, could be that the site is a little droughty making them susceptible to bug attacks?

mapleman3
12-07-2008, 07:37 PM
That Borer is one of the Longhorn species... but not nearly evasive as the Asian Longhorn... but still not good to have around thats for sure. they still do a large amount of damage but rarely cause death to the tree.

forester1
12-08-2008, 07:36 AM
I think they seek out stressed trees, I can't remember for sure but a vigorous healthy tree will be a better defense against attacks from most insects. If a species is growing in a less suitable site than it would be susceptible to stress. Also borers are attracted to sunlight in the forest and on the trunks so don't open your woods up too much all at once, but trees do need to grow. Just take out a couple competiters with each maple.