PDA

View Full Version : Spiles/spouts

adk1
12-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Can someone tell me the reason why the 7/16" is being replaced by the 5/16" diameter? I am assuming that that 7/16" was the first one used is this correct?

halfast tapper
12-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes, it was the first one used. It is not used as much any more as the 5/16 health spout is much better for the tree. Less damage and the tap hole will heal faster.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Sorry, 7/16 was not the first size but it was the standard size for the past 100 years or so. In my collection are spouts that require 1/2", 3/4" and 1" tap holes. The reason for going to the 5/16 is correct. Studies show anywhere from 85 to 100% of sap flow with about 1/2 the scarring to the tree. Made it a no brainer so I could even figure it out.

Russell Lampron
12-03-2008, 05:56 PM
About 3 or 4 years ago they had a 3/16" spout that they called the micro spout. It turned out to be too expensive because it was made of stainless steel and it was too small so it was discontinued. Recently I got a letter from Lapierre introducing a 1/4" plastic spout. I'm not going to be a guinea pig on these but if someone on this site tries them I would like to know how they perform.

maplwrks
12-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Russ--I do know of one producer up this way that is converting his entire 13000 taps over to the Lapierre spouts. He told me that he had 13000 stubbies for sale. Quite a few producers over this way tried them last year and liked them very well.

Russell Lampron
12-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Back when the micro spout first came out I was thinking that it would have been better to only go down to a 1/4" tap. It is easy to see that it is better for the trees but what are the production differences between the 5/16" taps and the new 1/4" taps? When the switch was made from 7/16" to 5/16" the difference was hardly noticeable.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-04-2008, 05:38 AM
The new LaPierre spouts come in both 1/4 and 5/16. I also wonder about sap volume differences. My guess is that under high vacuum, that there is little difference. Seems to be a plan afoot to eventually recycle these spouts but nothing in place yet.

adk1
12-04-2008, 08:40 AM
well, seeign as how I ahve to buy all of my spouts still, I will probably go with the 5/16"

peacemaker
12-04-2008, 11:09 AM
ask bascoms they have boxs of the micro s for sale that are used

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
My idea is slightly different putting all the research aside and what could be evidence tampering from sap sap flow differences from different trees/although they do kinda have a very good grip on what some of the trees will flow for sap amounts.

So lets put all the differences such as but not limited to sun hitting the trtees jsut right and well you get the story.

Getting sap out of a tree is all about severing wood vessels that flow sap and after that is done by a drill bit or such sap will flow out of a trees taphole.

Vac. put a Hg on the trees bole around the taphole and i think some knows what happens?

Now with tha being said in relation, Lets say that there is effect from vac. 1" away from hole. Ok great.

Now which has more surface area of severed vessels a 7/16 or a 1/4" hole??

All crap aside the 7/16 does. And common sense tells you that. Now add in the other factor of vacuum if all was equal the overall vac. area effected bu the vacuum would be increased in size over the smaller size hole right if you took say the 1" barrier effected by the hole. Correct or not?

Now does Vac. suck sap from a tree?? ask your self this ? if it doesn't which the experts say it doesn't then please explain to me why then when you pull a spout out of the taphole under vacuum it takes 5 to 10 seconds for the sap to appear and flow out of the taphole. Which comes to this why? When a spout is under gravity there is sap waiting in the taphole at the tip of the spout to fall out of the hole and when you pull the spout sap falls out immediately and now why isn't it like that on vacuum then if vac. isn't sucking sap from the tree "In a sence like a wicking action in a kero lantern"??

I need some answers.

I did get and see the ad from lapierre's about the 1/4" and had a good laugh. Part way through the speach was the statement about over tapping/Common sence tells me like i have said before that sugarbush management is #1 reason to look at=You can't tap the same tree that has not been released in a thinning for 40 years continiously and expect not to hit an old taphole. The tree has got to put on some meat so to say in the mean time to cover the older taphole so that you don't hit them again. DUH!!!!!!!

Jim Brown
12-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Gentlemen if may add my two cents, vacuum creates a low pressure at the tap hole thus increasing sap flow.High pressure in the tree-drill a hole sap will flow-increase low pressure in the hole and more sap flows.

Thanks
Jim

ennismaple
12-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Gentlemen if may add my two cents, vacuum creates a low pressure at the tap hole thus increasing sap flow.High pressure in the tree-drill a hole sap will flow-increase low pressure in the hole and more sap flows.

Thanks
Jim

BINGO! Pressure differential is more critical than how many wood fibres are severed.

Go with the 5/16 spouts. Your trees will be healthier and the sap production isn't much lower.

Jim Brown
12-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Gentlemen; Last year we went from 7/16 taps to 5/16 adapters with no noticible sap reductions.We take the adapter out in the spring bring them to the sugar house-wash in hot 2%bleach water -rinse twice in hot water-rinse again in cold water-dry on the work table for a day or two under a fan, stiring them every time you walk by to assure they are dry all over and store for next season.
Like a new tap in every hole each season.
Just our 2 cents and what works for us

Jim

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Finally found this thread again/I've been dazed or something?.

Why is it then that the Micro spouts haven't taken off like a rocket? I can tell you why...

In a sence what you guys are telling me that no matter the size of the taphole is you should get the same amount of sap if vacuum was applied to the hole in your theory? Correct?

Or is there really a relation like i said to severed vessels in the trees bole?

Can sap be pulled from an un-severed vessel in the trees bole by vacuum?

Why isn't vacuum sap setting at the spouts tip like gravity then in the taphole when the spout is pulled? sap should still be held in by gravity of the liquid sap if the theory is right.

This brings me to another theory about vacuum that would be awsome for an experiment if using vacuum is/////Ah to heck with it=I'll tell my partner the theory im thinking on/The rest is a secret to a possible new invention?.