PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum/SS

adk1
12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Can anyone give me the quick reasons why there are spiles made out of Aluminum and some made out of Stainless Steel?

peacemaker
12-02-2008, 11:18 AM
cost ? compnys prefrence?

maple sapper
12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I have not been doing sugaring as long as many others that have been around this forum. In my opinion anything aluminum should not be used near food. That includes cookware. I am a contractor (as a full time job) and use alot of aluminum equipment such as ladders and scaffolding and its a very soft metal. Even touching it for some length of time shows how soft it is. I have had days where I have been on a ladder in shorts and my shins have black lines on them from the steps on the ladder. Even my hands can have a black residue on them from moving the ladder. So if its that soft and can transfer onto your skin I sure would not want my food on it. I truely think that time will tell about a link with aluminum and brain diseases. Who knows, we all drink out of aluminum cans for soft drinks and beer. Not looking to start a huge discussion on health, just my opinion of aluminum and food.

adk1
12-02-2008, 01:02 PM
yeah, and now isnt there somethign out there that they are finding out that plastic is bad now, plastic water bottles etc!

maple sapper
12-02-2008, 02:35 PM
the plastic theory may be just something to make news about. The press loves to put fear in everyone. Ever notice that? If not watch the news and when they put out a question its usually to make you scared. example "Are our kids playgrounds safe?" Tomatos were poisonious long ago as well. But, it is known that metals can not be cleansed from the blood very easily. Thats true for lead, and mercury. I cant say ive ever seen any aluminum in my multi vitamin. Gregg

adk1
12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
i agree and it is a good point

Clan Delaney
12-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Aluminum oxidizes. Unless its anodized or coated (like cola cans). Stainless steel is, well, stainless. I guess if you want shiny spouts, buy stainless. It's pretty much a preference. Heck, all my spouts are plastic.

MFarmall
12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
I think it is a little of, "6 of one/half dozen of the other". Whichever you feel better using, of coarse cost wise agree with going with plastic.
Softer aluminum will oxidize and rub off a lot quicker than a harder aluminum (6000-7000 series).
Stainless will do the same, you can get just as much dark residue when working with it, especially grinding or polishing it. There can be just as much leaching from certain stainless as aluminum, quess just depends on how long it is in contact with anything, like 304L/316L. Also should be careful what type of fill rod is used for stainless, a lot of it has some lead in it to make for easier welding.
A funny trait with aluminum, it forms a hard coating on the outer surface, over time. Kind of like self anodizing. You have to sand it lighly to get a good weld.
Just my thoughts from working with both at work.
Mel

Bucket Head
12-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Stainless is the way to go, on everything, with hoods being the exception.

Aluminum oxidizes very easily.

I have some Leader aluminum spiles that are only a few years old and they look like they went through the war. No exageration here, they look awful. Horribly corroded. I even contacted Leader, which did no good. I will not buy them again.

A stainless spile, or anything else thats stainless, years from now will look like it did when it was new. No corrosion, nothing unsightly, and nothing that could be a health hazzard.

If your going to purchase new, or replace something, swallow hard and go with the stainless.

The time is coming when everyones state regulatory dept. mandates food grade stainless and food grade plastic everything. You wait and see. Might as well have everything "correct" ahead of time.

Thats my way of thinking. Thats why everything we have, except the steam hood, is food grade stainless and plastic.

Steve

KenWP
03-07-2009, 06:41 PM
How pray tell does one pound in the aluminum spouts. D&G never had and steel spouts just these used flat rolled ones and They seem to bend easy.

3rdgen.maple
03-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Spout driver $7.50 at bascoms

4045chad
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I appoligize for the rookie question but has anyone used aluminum pans? I have found some really nice aluminum pans that will fit my arch perfectly. I am just wondering what the consequences are to using these. I know quite a few of the turkey fryer pots are aluminum and have not heard of any health or other related problems with these.

KenWP
04-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Well if you are not carefull you can melt one real quick. Some people figure it will leave a taste in the syrup also. It does transfer heat well. I bought a big aluminum stock pot thinking it was SS and had to return it to the store once this spring.

Brent
05-01-2009, 02:13 PM
you're not supposed to pound ... you tap !