PDA

View Full Version : Another Bad Weekend 3/22, 3/23

backyardsugarer
03-24-2003, 07:08 AM
Made a whopping gallon this weekend with 120 taps out. The buckets are dry. How is everyone else doing? Is it just my trees that are dry? I am in Rochester, NY and the weather has been terrible. I have made 11 gallons so far and have a goal for the season of 25 gallons.

I tried to make maple candy and it did not go well. I boiled the syrup to 235, let it cool to 200 and put it in the mold. It is too sticky and will not come out of the mold. I guess I under cooked it. Any suggestions? Is 235 the right temp.?

Chris

mapleman3
03-24-2003, 07:29 AM
I think this is the last week here, I took yesterday off, I may boil tonight depending on what my sap looks like today in the buckets, I didn't even collect it from yesterday!, Ive done 12 gallons on my half pint so far, but the sugar content has dropped. we shall see!!
Jim

backyardsugarer
03-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Jim,

The season can not be over, it has not begun yet. I have not had a great run yet. You are scaring me with that talk. There is hope for later this week and over the weekend as things cool down.

Chris

mapleman3
03-24-2003, 08:00 AM
I'm sorry Chris,
didn't mean to scare you, but i don't think it's the "banner" year this year, the weather sure has made it difficult huh?
Jim

syrupmaker
03-24-2003, 12:32 PM
Chris........ i agree with maple man! Definately not a banner year, but something is better than nothing at all. I just was out plugging the vac pump in and checking my 6 buckets and it looks like kind of promising day over here in Erie County.Buckets are dripping a little faster than one drop a second and as i timed the releaser i was getting about 10 cups (2.5 qrts) per drop every 54 seconds. I'm sure it will slow down in a couple hours though. Let me know how you made out today.

FMWARREN
03-24-2003, 07:57 PM
we picked up 4 barrels today but it was a two day run,just boiled it in,still making good syrup light amber great flavor. it is going to be sugaring weather here for the next 3 or 4 days.we have only boiled 4 times the trees i have that area little north still havealot of snow around them. I have a road side 1/2 " line that is still under snow from the plow.I think we are half tapped and that is all we will do.I went to a friends sugar house yesterday,Fired for while to give him a break , he is a little over 400 gallons but he also has 6000 taps.a few to many for my 2X6!
FM

backyardsugarer
03-25-2003, 07:22 AM
He will never keep up if we get a good run. I had a decent run yesturday (80 gallons out of 100 plus taps) but wouldn't you know it, I woke up to 59 degrees this morning. The sap still does taste good and is clear. There may be hope yet.

Chris

mapleman3
03-25-2003, 07:51 AM
it was 29 here in Belchertown Ma. this morning... I aint done yet !!!
gathered 35 gals of yellowish sap, but no smell so I will boil that tonight(keeping it in a cool area) and whatever I get today I will do tomorrow on my last day off of sugar season. I will miss those wednesdays off, looks as though I will boil this weekend and then start ripping down the old sugar house making way for the new one to be built !!!!
Jim

backyardsugarer
03-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Jim,

Don't tear down that shack yet, I firmly believe there are a few weeks left in the season. Maybe I am just delusional from the sap fumes but I am holding out hope.

Chris

mapleman3
03-25-2003, 10:59 AM
hehe you got it. I will hold out, I rally wasn't tearing it down till I am sure we are done. takes time to get a dumpster there anyway :wink:

Jim

michaelh05478
03-26-2003, 07:29 AM
My partner and his wife gathered monday evening and i went up yesterday and finished gathering. Got 275 gals of sap and made 6 gals yesterday....2 fancy and 4 "A" med.......Looks like we have another 2 weeks or so left. We still have a lot of frost in the ground. One of the old timers up here said it hasnt started yet!!!!!!! Up to 18 gals so far......

mapleman3
03-26-2003, 07:42 AM
sounds great.. wish I would get that much sap!!!
Jim

Russell Lampron
04-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Chris
The temps sound about right for your candy experiment. Did you stir it
before you poured it into the molds? I have experimented with making
candy myself and have found that the stirring is the trickiest part. If
you stir it too much it will harden in the pan before you can pour it into
the molds. Stir it too little and it won't harden at all! The longer you let
it cool the smaller the sugar granuals will be but don't let cool more than 160 degrees. Stir it until it starts to form granuals on the side of the pan
then pour it into the molds. Hope this helps.

Russ

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Chris,

I have made candy in the past and I always check the boiling point of water before each batch because it varies day to day. After you find the boiling point of water, then boil the syrup until it reaches 32 to 34 degrees above the boiling point of water. Immediately remove it from heat and let it cool to under 200 but not less than 160 degrees. Then stir it aprox 5 minutes until it because almost like a liquid rubber and turns to a light brown color, then pour it into moulds. 32 degrees above boiling will make a softer candy while 36+ degrees will make a harder candy. There in no exact right time to pour it into moulds, it just comes with experience!

Brandon