PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 blower

caseyssugarshack93
11-30-2008, 12:10 PM
I have a cage blower and i think its a lil much for my 2x6 do u guys know if there are contorls that i can get to control how fast the air moves?

Let me know

thanks

Bucket Head
11-30-2008, 01:45 PM
You need a rheostat. Don't think I spelled that right.

Its like one of those dimmer switches you would use on an indoor light fixture.

This would allow you to control the electricity going to the blower motor, which would determine air volume.

I need to get one for my blower as it is too big for my rig.

Steve

lpakiz
11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Is there a way you can restrict the INTAKE of the blower? Contrary to popular opinion and also reasoning, it will cause the motor to run freer and faster. Uses less energy also. That is the way the air injection blower on my wood furnace is set up...

Bucket Head
11-30-2008, 02:11 PM
I will have to try that. What I've been doing is diverting some of the output so it was not going into the evaporator.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

brookledge
11-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Bucket head has it right
Install a rheostat. Not that expensive and when mounted within reach of the arch you will find it is the best way. Just before you open the door to feed it you turn the blower down alittle and then crank it back as soon as you close the door.
Keith

royalmaple
11-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Be careful on the rheostat. I tried one on my squirrel cage blower from a furnace. All it does is make the motor slow down to an idle and then start smoking. In my case the motor doesn't like to be slowed down. If I use it I am going to divert or restrict the output of the blower with a flapper valve and let the blower run wide open.

brookledge
11-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Matt
I wonder if there are different types of rheostats? Mine came with my inferno arch and it is now 6 yrs old and it has never had a problem. Also could the type of motor be an issue.
I just know if I open the door without the blower turned down it's like a blast furnace the embers and heat will knock you back. And there is no need of turning the blower totally off to feed the fire.
Keith

Father & Son
12-03-2008, 07:50 AM
I've been told the Dayton and similar style blowers run best when they are running at full power. Another possibility is to put a damper between the blower and the evaporator to regulate the flow. That is what I have done and it works well.

Jim

partsrus1974
12-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Alot of your 110 volt motors on your bigger blowers are meant to run at 110.Less voltage will smoke them like royal maple said be carful.Better off to restrict the air intake on the blower or divert some air Just my 2 cents:)

jcb
12-04-2008, 04:41 AM
why not just put it on a switch

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Get a fan speed control rehostat, not a light dimmer switch. Lowes sells 5 amp ones for $ 10.

Smitty
02-11-2009, 09:46 AM
You are better off restricting the suction side of the squirrel cage rather than the discharge side. 1) the damper on the discharge side really does not cut the volume but just makes the air move faster, and the fan works harder. 2) the damper on the intake side has a lot more influence on volume, but does not make the fan work harder. I installed a swicth next to my evap. so i just turn it
off,add wood, turn it back on.

Old Farmer
02-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Certain types of motors cannot be run with a rheostat. Synchronous and induction motors run at a set speed with respect to the 60 hz input power. If a rheostat is used, the voltage is reduced enough so that the motor "slips" with respect to the line frequency. This will cause high currents and overheating of the motor. To vary the speed of this type of motor, you need a variable frequency drive. A rheostat works with a Universal AC motor. In other words, you need a specific type of motor to use a rheostat.

Bucket Head
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Guys,

I just finished installing a piece of aluminum sheetmetal that can be swung over the intake hole on my furnace blower.

I like it! I can control the amount of air, and its speed, going out. And it was free. The motor works a lot easier now too. You can hear the difference.

Forget the rheostats. They cost money!

Take a piece of metal, cardboard, plexiglass, anything you can slide back and forth over your blower and try it for yourself.

Steve

Beweller
02-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Some blowers/fans come with shaded pole motors. These motors can be controlled over a reasonable range with a reostat.

nymapleguy607
02-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I personally prefer to run the blower on high and then just restrict the low by either a damper or reducing the blower inlet.