PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Fire Brick

MapleME
11-30-2008, 11:19 AM
What type of saw should I rent to cut the 100+ bricks for my 2x6 arch?

MapleME

Father & Son
11-30-2008, 11:32 AM
If you have a circular saw you can get a masonary or concrete blade for that. I have cut 1/2 bricks completely through with three or four passes and have scored full bricks enough to have a clean chisel break. You will go through a blade really quick, so depending on how much cutting you have as to how many blades you will need.

Jim

MapleME
11-30-2008, 11:34 AM
hmm, would a bigger blade on a chop saw be a better option?

gmcooper
11-30-2008, 11:45 AM
To save time and frustration get a diamond blade to cut your fire brick. cost more at first but will save in the end. You can cut thru full fire brick in one pass just do not crowd it. They will last a long time. Get one to fit which ever saw you want. Chop saw might be easier to hold bricks as they are cut.
Mark

peacemaker
11-30-2008, 02:21 PM
or a diamond tip in a 6 inch grinder or 4 inch but if u use your chop saw i would add a shop vac into the deal it will destroy your chop saw ...

brookledge
11-30-2008, 02:43 PM
If you are looking to rent then you might be able to do that cheaper than buying dispoable blade for a skil saw. A diamond blade on a demo saw works great and makes beautiful cuts.
Keith

Russell Lampron
11-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I got a diamond blade from the supplier that I bough my bricks from and it worked great. The dust ate up the bearings in my circular saw though. It was a good thing that it was a cheap Craftsman saw.

peacemaker
11-30-2008, 02:57 PM
when i cut bricks i keep the compresser and the blower there and keep the saw blown out had to cut 4 feet of red brick in a kitchen the company that the customer bought the stove from mgave them the wrong specs for the stove which was slipping into a old wood bin next to the fireplace of course eveything was installed except the stove and dishwasher what a mess even with 4 fans to vacs one on the saw and one the homeowner was holding next to the blade ...

TapME
11-30-2008, 03:44 PM
mapleme, I have a grinder with a diamond blade in it. When do you think you will be doing the fire brick? Might be able to help

maple flats
11-30-2008, 04:31 PM
If you have that many try renting a brick cutter if they are still around. Years ago my uncle had a device to cut bricks. It was just a heavy duty hard steel (carbide?) divice with a cutter on the top and bottom. When you worked the handle it just broke the bricks like a good chissel would. He put the brick in where it was to be cut, pulled the handle and held it tight while he hit the top of the top cutter with a masonry hammer. One hit with the pressure on the handle and the brick broke nice and straight. I have not seen one recently, but I have seen tile cutters essentially the same. Ask a rental place.

royalmaple
11-30-2008, 06:45 PM
I use my tile saw and diamond blade. Works like a charm.

Amber Gold
11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I bought a Sears tile saw: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922320000P

It's on sale now for $80. You get what you pay for. It's cheap, made of plastic, but it is a wet saw with a diamond blade. I cut 1/2 bricks without too much of a problem in one pass, just need to take it slow. Also cut stone tile for my house. A lot of cutting and it did that fine as well. It is cheap and it does work. I'd pick one of those up. Afterwards you can use it for the tile floor your wife always wanted...

Uncle Tucker
11-30-2008, 07:42 PM
The biggest thing noticed is there are 2 types of firebricks. One type is extremely hard, the other is soft. I had a couple of hard bricks when I bricked my arch, they sucked to cut. Don’t get these bricks! The other ones I scored with an angle grinder and broke with my hands. The soft bricks are like glued sand that if you rub hard it will rub off a little. These are the ones you want.

danno
11-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Throw the 10" or 12" diamond blade on the miter saw and let her rip. Much prefer to do this outsie than in. Also, keep a fan or blower moving the dust away from the saw.

forester1
12-01-2008, 08:43 AM
I know I'm low-tech old style and all that but I used a brick chisel. I just scored the brick all around with the chisel where I wanted it to break a couple times, then gave it a good strike. I ruined only a couple bricks by striking too early. Most broke clean and straight.

jtthibodeau
12-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Morning all,
I don't post too often but am an avid reader during the season. One point I'll bring up in cutting fire brick, or any other hard material such as tile, is use water to hold down your dust. Water can be applied as easily as using one of the kids squirt guns, spray bottle or other container that will leak/drip on the cut.

The only draw back is the brick colored "rooster tail" from the spinning blade. Plastic or old towels usually handle that problem. And, remember eye protection too.

Happy sapping....

peacemaker
12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
forester my father always told me the soft bricks are new or fresh ones as he called them and the hard ones he always said where old or cured ... dont know if theres any truth to it ... but he was a old carpentar from way back and did his own brick work ... so take it for that ... he use to explain it like fresh sheetrock cuts so much better then one u have had laying around for a year

maple flats
12-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I have not seen the soft ones you speak of.

Uncle Tucker
12-02-2008, 03:50 PM
I got mine at Bascomes, They were the cheapest (suprisingly) I could find.

Haynes Forest Products
12-02-2008, 10:28 PM
The newer fire brick will not get harder as you heat it becouse it is made at a higher temp so it does not fuse together. its the same that they use in blacksmithing forges. When I busted up my old arch all the brick looked like new.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-04-2008, 07:18 PM
The higher the temp the fire brick are rated for, the harder they are. A 3000 or 3200 degree firebrick is much harder than a 2600 degree firebrick.

MapleME
12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
is a 5 gallon pail enough to brick a 2x6??

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-05-2008, 04:46 PM
5 gallon is more than enough, 2 or 3 gallon would be plenty.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I have cut a few firebrick over the years and I like to go with a circular saw and a cheap 2 or 3 dollar masonary blade. I have a $ 20+ diamond blade, but I can cut a quite a few brick with a cheap blade before they need replaced and to me, they are easier to cut with than a diamond blade. I have used wet saws before for tile, but not for brick and if you had the extra money, I would think they would be the way due to design and the constant flow of water. Just use a mask if you aren't using water, that stuff can't be good for your lungs.