PDA

View Full Version : packaging in bulk jugs

The Sappy Steamer
11-24-2008, 06:50 AM
I have been using the epoxy lined metal 5 gal cans to package bulk syrup and they have a metal insert under the cap that acts as a seal. I just bought a bunch of plastic jugs that are supposed to be for hot packing bulk syrup. They only have a plastic cap that screws on, without any seal. Why is it that retail jugs and the metal cans have a seal and the plastic ones don't? How long will hot packed syrup keep in them without a seal? Has anyone had any problems with mold or anything? Also what is the special $20.00 valve for that has thumb screw and a swing out top with an o-ring under it? I assumed it was so you could pour some out and reclose the top, but once you exposed it to air isn't it the same as screwing the cheap plastic cap back on? The jugs are the white plastic ones made in Canada by Anchor Plastics.

DaveB
11-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi Sappy,

I'm not familiar with the containers that you're talking about but I have used the blue 5 gallon containers that have the same kind of seal. I use a wrench for them that get's them real tight. You can also get replacement seals for those type of containers. I will admit that I've had a very slight amount of mold on top but that's it. I'll see that after about 10 months or so. Most of the time they are clear. I use them for packing at the sugarhouse and long term storage and have repackaged in the 5 gallon epoxy containers and I do like the metal seal they have.

Dave

ennismaple
11-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Sappy - We use those jugs. In the spring we'll fill them with our year's supply for maple sugar and maple butter plus some others for re-packaging within the next few months. In a month or two we haven't had them mold. What we store long term gets put in the chest freezer that is just for syrup.

Jim Brown
11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
We use the "blue and white 5 gallon smurfitts" and if they are clean and the syrup is hot enough(180 plus) we have had no problems. We just opened 2 five gallon containers of "B" we made in March this year and both were fine
Our two cents!

Jim

The Sappy Steamer
11-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Alright then, I guess I was worrying for nothing. I just didn't want any suprises. As I know you are all well aware, there's too much work getting to that point to mess up because of improper packaging.Thanks a lot for the input.

brookledge
11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Over time if left where sunlight and light can hit the jug the syrup will darken. So if you do use plastic the best results will be if it is kept in darkness
Keith