PDA

View Full Version : USDA Permanent Grade Set

Amber Gold
11-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I contacted the USDA about their official grade set. They can be ordered through the USDA and they are $125 including shipping, which is FEDEX'd next day and insured. I checked and there are no other shipping options. If you're interested send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you the persons contact information.

cncaboose
11-24-2008, 06:22 PM
2 questions: Is this the glass or plastic based set that I've read about?
Is there a website with info or are they still in the dark ages?

Russell Lampron
11-24-2008, 07:34 PM
This is the glass set that is a larger version than the Vermont temporary grading kit. It is a permanent set so that once you buy it you won't have to buy one again. What color standard does the state of New York go by? Do they use the Vermont color standard, the USDA color standard or do they have one of their own like Maine?

New Hampshire uses the USDA standard which only has colors for Grade A light, medium and dark amber. Anything that is darker than dark amber and still has good flavor is Grade B. In Vermont there is a definite color range for Grade B and Maine has an extra dark color classification that is similar to Vermont's Grade B. Packers over here go by the Vermont color spec when buying it in bulk. If New York doesn't use the USDA spec you may not want to buy one of these sets.

mountainvan
11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
NY is close to maine with grade a, extra dark for cooking( which is the same as grade b vermont), grade b( which is for reprocessing by a packer or producer, meaning blending), and then grade c. I gave my 2 cents at a NYSMPA meeting a couple weeks ago that there should be a uniform grading system for all maple syrup. Most guys laughed at that one.

brookledge
11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Mountain man
As far as grading standards, they are trying to come up with a standard but it seems like some of the states are reluctant to change. Also there is a push to emphasize more on flavor. When it reallycomes down to it the customer wants a good flavor and they don't care as much about the color.
My feeling is with many of the states having different grades the customer can easily be confused and not knowing what they are getting.
Keith

hard maple
11-25-2008, 06:54 PM
AMBER GOLD
go ahead and post the link for fellow maple traders to order one.
It seems hard to believe that everyone else charges $260.00 for the same grading kit?!

Amber Gold
11-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Hard Maple,

I have the contact persons email address and contact information, but didn't want to post it on the web for anyone to see. I trust you guys, but anyone has access to this site. If anyone's interested just send me a PM with your email and I'll forward the information.

The grading kit is the same as what Bascom's sells for $260. I saw a picture of it in Bascom's catalogue...same thing for $125. That's one hell of a mark up.

hard maple
11-26-2008, 07:46 PM
amber
I gave you my email you never sent me the link.
what gives???

Amber Gold
11-26-2008, 08:59 PM
send it to me again. I've got a lot of requests for it and I may have accidentally deleted it thinking I'd already forwarded the information to you.

maplemaker
11-27-2008, 07:29 AM
JOSH thats a good deal makes you wonder how much these equipment dealers are actually making off of us.Can you send us the information so we can order one.Thanks Brian

hard maple
11-29-2008, 05:09 PM
If anyone here buys a grading set directly from this source please post how the transaction went.
I'll probably be ordering one just before the season starts.

Amber Gold
01-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Process went smoothly. I filled out the forms, scanned them, and emailed them to her instead of faxing them. Went well and should get the grade set next week. Has anybody else ordered a set yet?

hard maple
02-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Josh
did you get your grading set? If so is it the exact same thing as shown in the Bascom's catalog?

Amber Gold
02-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Yes and yes.

cropseyvillemark
02-10-2009, 07:34 AM
I got mine. The process went smoothly. Does anyone know where to source the additives that they suggest?(glycerine etc)Or does everyone just use water behind the color slides?

Amber Gold
02-10-2009, 09:13 AM
I was wondering that myself and forgot to post it.

Homestead Maple
02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
You should be able to get glycerine at your local drug store. I've bought it there as an over the counter item.

Amber Gold
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I just ordered glycerine from Hannaford Pharmacy. I think it's 6 oz. for $6.25 and is supposed to be in on Wednesday.