PDA

View Full Version : Surge RV BB2

Uncle Tucker
11-21-2008, 05:02 AM
I just got a Surge rv bb2 vacuum pump and I was wondering how many “ of vacuum I could push this pump to? What should I expect for CFMs with this pump? And what is the maximum amount of taps can I have in this pump?

Thanks

lpakiz
11-21-2008, 06:44 PM
This seems the place to ask my question too. I have a Surge SP-11.
How many " of vacuum should I ask out of this unit?
Any guesses as to the CFM at the recommended vacuum??
I have a small (Bender) dairy releaser I am going to try out on a bunch of trees by the house. Maybe 20 taps spread out over 100 feet or so. Can I do this with just 5/16 or should I string up some mainline?
Thanks for any and all advice!!

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
11-21-2008, 07:45 PM
LARRY
i run a sp11 on 250 taps 1100 ft of main line and 2 ladders with 19 inches, no idea of the cfms.

RICH

TapME
11-21-2008, 07:51 PM
I looked at a bb2 pump last year. Had a tank mortar and pistons. Don't know the cfm's but the farmer said that used it to milk 30 cows. How many taps are you looking at attaching to it?

caseyssugarshack93
11-21-2008, 09:32 PM
I been told that the rv bb2 is good for around 200 taps i also have a bb2 and parker told me around 200taps

lpakiz
11-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Rich,
Thanks, that helps!!

markcasper
11-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Larry,

I have 2 sp-11's in operation. The one has 275 taps, the other I am running around 570 taps. I know that is way too many, but I still manage to get a solid 17" of vacuum at the end of the bush. The key is to keep the system tight!!! I use 3 bender releasers and all mainlines are 3/4". I know its not the best. My bush is scheduled for a thinning as the trees to be cut were all marked a few weeks ago. I will get one more season and then everything is coming out after next season.

There will be many improvements after the improvement cut.

I would recommend a small bit of mainline.

tuckermtn
11-22-2008, 02:39 AM
I have a rv bb2 but have never used it...seem to also remeber around 200 taps..

I have a sp-11 that was reading 21-23" at the releaser, 19ish in the woods- 121 taps, 3/4 and 1/2" mainline, one 10ft ladder.

Dennis H.
11-22-2008, 05:51 AM
where do you find these used dairy pumps anyway?

royalmaple
11-22-2008, 06:05 AM
The answer is in the question.

lpakiz
11-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Years ago this area of Wisconsinn was prime dairy farms. As farmers got older, they would sell the cows and machinery but retain the land and buildings. There was no demand for small, out-dated vac pumps, step savers, small bulk tanks, etc and those things just got left behind on the farm. Later, the farmer sold land and buildings and went to town or nursing home. The new owner would be a bigger operation and was not interested in the small equip, just the land and maybe sheds, grain bins, etc.. Still some of that stuff left in the smaller , non-operating farms. Just have to dig for it. Milk haulers, feed salesmen, artificial inseminaters etc would have leads. Look for a barn with no signs of cattle around it. Might try a "Wanted to Buy" in the local paper or shopper?

Haynes Forest Products
11-22-2008, 08:02 PM
You will find them in the most unlikly of places. If you have ever seen what a farmer will throw on a fence line. They are a treasure trove of good stuff. If you found a pump on the scrap pile I would bet that it was in working shape when it got tossed there. Keep in mind the they are used on others equipment. Vacuum pumps are used on old water trucks, septic pumpers and that doesnt mean that they are not usable for sucking sap old heavey equipment junk yards are a great place. Ya just gota get out there and ask and look.