PDA

View Full Version : Striped Maple Defoamer

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Learn something new every day- I was reading through this new Birch Syrup Production Manual i got that was printed in British Columbia, Canada.

Down in the defoaming section it said the only Anti-Defoaming agent permitted in Organic Maple syrup are Pennsylvania maple wood=Striped maple...Listed Soy-peanut, sesame seed or nut oil as a no no due to the allergin properties.

Gotta try the striped maple trick.

peacemaker
11-19-2008, 08:02 PM
the nut oils make sense i thought i read the only organic defoamer was organic olive oil ??explain the striped maple process ?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-19-2008, 08:05 PM
I have tasted the striped maple before and it has somewhat of a rubbery bland taste=Not even sure how it would react to foaming syrup/but assume that it could work to tame the lion.

peacemaker
11-19-2008, 08:15 PM
hummm i guess i would have some oil on hand anways lol u say u tasted it the sap the stick or syrup made from it

and as far as the birch goes what do they say about tapping them in the fall i want to make a gal or so i read about using it to make birch beer

Clan Delaney
11-19-2008, 08:18 PM
What about hanging a piece of bacon fat just above the pan? I know I read that trick somewhere. Sounds pretty organic to me.

peacemaker
11-19-2008, 08:19 PM
lol yeah bacon i read that once old timers trick the fella that told me said why not maples good on bacon

peacemaker
11-19-2008, 08:21 PM
my wife is a preschool teacher there are so many allegies out there its amazing when they go on field trips she has to send home a list of foods the kids cant bring in there lunches ...they are a nut free school the kids eat seasame butter on there jelly sammies

TapME
11-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Gets all the vegetarians going with the fat and butter thing.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I have some syrup from The East's in Alaska=Kahiltna Birch works. And i have tasted teh sapling stem of a striped maple before=little rubbery/bland like the elm tree i also tryed the sap from :( Birch saps runs in the spring and from the couple of test i did it starts to run right about the time i start making B grade syrup=almost all the snow off the ground. Some of the web sites and books i have show snow about 18" deep or so when they have tapped their birch's.

peacemaker
11-19-2008, 08:45 PM
cool thanks as a kid we always walked around with a fresh birch twig in your mouth ...lol took away the chaw breath lol

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Black birch has the wintergreen taste. :) Maybe add a few into the mix and you'll have the market cornered.

peacemaker
11-19-2008, 09:09 PM
i had that thought to try ... i have a barrel set i made last year as my preheater ... may try that this year make a half and half batch