PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria from sugars

maple sapper
11-19-2008, 01:49 PM
I am not sure if there is another discussion on this topic or not. I am looking to find out if sap/sugars will pass through a 1 micron filter. Is that to fine for sugar? Also how do users of larger RO systems deal with bacteria in filters. Are filters even used on back side of the membrane to pick up bacteria from getting to the holding tank in the event you were recirculating to build up sugar content. So is a filter used on both sides of a RO to keep this bacteria from getting out of hand. If 1 micron is to small what size is needed to allow sugar to pass through? Thanks Maple sapper.

sapman
11-19-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't think a 1 mic filter will stop the sugar from getting through. You need a membrane to do that, which is the purpose of the RO.

I don't know of any ROs with post filters. I doubt you can effectively filter out bacteria, except with a DE filter maybe.

Tim

maplecrest
11-19-2008, 07:00 PM
a u v light after the r/o will take care of that problem. i as thinking of putting one on the consentrate line headed for the tank that feeds the evaporator.

maple sapper
11-26-2008, 09:55 PM
is there anyone using a UV light that may be able to give some imput as to wheter its a good investment? Is there a science to sizing? I did read something on a web site somewhere but my computer updated and then rebooted with out me knowing and lost it. Hate when that happens. Gregg aka Mapple sapper

Haynes Forest Products
11-27-2008, 01:38 PM
So at what point do we stop making Maple syrup and start making sugar syrup? sterile sap...into the RO and over consentrate and what do you end up with bland light colored sugar water with a slight taste of something. YUCK

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-27-2008, 05:12 PM
post edited

brookledge
11-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Let me say this much. At a time when syrup dropped off in price from each grade, someone making a lot of syrup could see a fairly quick payoff.
But with the prices recently being the same accross the board except for commercial I would not highly recommend spending the money. Even though I feel that it does help keep the sap in better condition.
Keith

Jeff E
12-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Brad from Leader told me that research indicated very little value in applying UV after the sap is concentrated. The sugar content reflects the UV waves and the UV will not penetrate into the sap column in the UV canister.

He stated to UV treat the sap as soon as possible before having it enter a storage container, keeping the sap cool, and processing promptly and completely. Then clean, clean, clean those tanks.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-01-2008, 04:33 PM
post edited.

Aren't the "governors" Informational post a wonderfull thing? !!!!!!!!!