PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon drums

TapME
11-18-2008, 09:28 AM
I have a chance to get some plastic drums. My question is that they had a food grade silicon in them, is this OK if they are power washed or just forget it? Thanks

Haynes Forest Products
11-18-2008, 12:01 PM
First call the manf. and see what they say. Some of the food grade silicone is used for baking and its a problem for STORAGE. If its food grade doesnt mean that it can be in constant contact with food in large numbers. This might sound crazy but some soaps are food grade you wash your hands and you touch food some are not. But you would not want to store Maple syrup in a soap bottle. With the delicate flavors of syrup I would worry about transfer of flavor. It would suck to dump hot syrup into the drum and then have it come out smelly.

TapME
11-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Haynes, these are used to lube bottles on a bottling line. They make the bottles slide easier to the filling station.

VtSugarhouse
11-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Its worth spending $185.00 per barrell for 40 gallon stainless steel barrells which are designed for maple syrup.
I have seen more syrup disqualified in syrup contest which were put up in glass because of bad smell or taste. Like a pickle jar.
Bottom line dont risk your valuable product. Spend the bucks...its worth the investment.

TapME
11-18-2008, 06:53 PM
It's not going to used for syrup, it is storage for line taps. I have secured 6 gallon stainless for syrup and a possible 55 gallon epoxy lined. We are planing for 110 gallons of finished product this year if mother nature cooperates.