PDA

View Full Version : cream machine

jrthe3
11-18-2008, 02:07 AM
On the D&G style cream machine I know they are made of a motor a gear reduction and a gear pump does anyone now how many horse power the motor is how many rpm it turns and what size the gear pump is

maplwrks
11-18-2008, 06:35 AM
They are a 1hp motor with a 60:1 gear reduction 3450 rpm

Russell Lampron
11-18-2008, 11:54 AM
jrthe3

Check out this thread http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=2366

danno
11-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I remember that thread. I did get my motor, but never got around to building the cream machine. I did buy a sheet rock mud mixer and it does make good cream when mixed with my drill press on slow:)

Sugarmaker
11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Danno,
Dont feel bad I didnt build one either. Cream is one of those products that just does not have the shelf life, and needs to be made often to stay fresh and unseparated.
Anyone buit one using a old heavy duty mixer like a Hobart style 3 speed and come off the drive head?
Chris

danno
11-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Chris - I don't know. Cream has become very popular among my customers. I'm selling about the same amount of cream as syrup. Once people try it, they absolutely love it. First getting it to syrup and then cream - the stuff is time intensive to make.

Amber Gold
11-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Do you need to buy one of those $1500 machines to make it? I have a stand mixer and was wondering if I could use that.

Why isn't the shelf life that long? Provided you hot pack it I wouldn't think it'd go bad and as far as the seperation you just stir it back together when it's opened. I think all the stuff I've boughten has been separated.

I was thinking about making maple cream and maple candy to sell along with my syrup. Is the additional time and effort worth it for what you can sell it for?

brookledge
11-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Amber gold
When making cream or candy it is not hot packed and the bacteria is present. That is why it has a short shelf life.
As for making a profit, yes it can be provided you don't have to throw away alot. Myself I only make candy,cream,coated nuts, lollipops, etc at Christmas or a special order during the year.
Remember if you make some of these and they are past there shelf life and you sell some they probably won't be back ever again. Candy that has not been crystal coated will begin to grow mold after 6-8 weeks depending on the temp it is stored.
Keith

danno
11-22-2008, 06:45 PM
I store my cream in the freezer - I have not checked, but I'm assuming the shelf life of frozen cream is pretty long?

Sugarmaker
11-22-2008, 09:02 PM
All great comments, I agree that the labor side of these items has to be considered. I try to make them to order so that the customers are satisfied. I tell them to consume it soon to get the best flavor. I do not crystal coat my candy and I agree that 6-8 weeks is probably max. I also agree that there is a good market for these products Cream and candy.
Danno if your selling that much cream that is great. I believe a great first step is getting or building good quality equipment to make these. Then there are a lot of details to make batches that don't fail and then educating the public about the freshness of these products.
I have been doing very well selling value added products like maple mustard and maple BBQ in a regular and a Hot version. this year I have sold about 400 plastic squeeze jars 8 floz. It is easier to make. is very tolerant of all the things maple cream and candy are not. Temp, grade, weather, shelf life. It is canned warm 130-140 deg F. It is easy to use and table ready. I know these are not a 100% maple product like cream and candy. But these are sales also. And they fit my abilities at this time.

Chris

jrthe3
11-23-2008, 09:47 AM
what do you guys meen by crystal coat how do you do that

Sugarmaker
11-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Boyd,
Crystal coating of molded maple sugar extends the shelf life considerably. The process is to have some maple syrup heated to about 170 (I think) then cooled to room temp, the candy is submerged until a coating of crystals forms on the exterior of the candies which "seals" out moisture. Others that regularly make this can give much better details than I can. I have not ever tried it but did get training on the method during the maple Confections work shop held in Albion. (check our Association web site www.pamaple.org )
There is a lot of information about crystal coating maple candy. Some of the experts should be able to chime in here soon. Also the Ohio State Maple manual has details on the process. Northrop's in Corry area make hundreds of pounds of crystal coated candy each year.

Regards,
Chris

brookledge
11-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Boyd
First off you need to figure out what container you are going to use so that you can get a wire basket to fit. Then I boil syrup to around 224 and cool to room temp. While it is cooling I place a damp cloth over it to help prevent the surface to crystalize then when it is room temp I submerge the candy for 3-4 hours and remove the wire basket and place the candy on a wire cake cooling rack. The key thing is to move the candy around as it dries so it doesn't stick to the wire rack. If it does stick, when you break it free you will also break the crystal coating off leaving that portion of the candy unprotected.
It works great except it is time consuming and to add the time involved in doing it to the candy makes it less profitable
I do it somewhat the way it is described in the NAMSPM
Keith

jrthe3
11-24-2008, 01:31 AM
chris
does the ***. have two web sites i found an other one same info but differemt set up i want to join again but the site i found said the meeting is in Blooming Valley witch i have been to and the link you posted said edinboro are them same thing just two meeting or did it change

Sugarmaker
11-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Boyd,
Web site has been upgraded recently and our President Gary is doing a great job keeping it current too.
That would be great if you wanted to join. One of the benefits is that you can buy plastic jugs at some what of a discount. Prices per case are listed on the site too.
I believe the members meeting will be held in Edinboro Pa in Jan of 09 .
The web site is www.pamaple.org for the North West PA maple association.

Regards,
Chris