PDA

View Full Version : half inch mainline saddles?

markct
11-16-2008, 08:14 PM
just was wondering if there are any saddles available that go on half inch mainline, i have a good bit of half inch mainline and was planning to use it on some trees on the edge of out field but dont see any saddles for half inch, just the 4 way fitting that go in spliced altho those work ok most places on this i will have just one line coming in not 4

maplwrks
11-16-2008, 08:35 PM
If you don't want to use the 4 way fittings that Leader sells, You might try a 1/2" manifold fitting and a 2,4, or 6 way star. I dont know of any saddle type fitting that works well with 1/2" pipe. Maybe some of the other traders can chime in on this---Will multifittings close down enough to work on 1/2" pipe?? The problem with most of the saddle type fittings on 1/2" is this--The nipple that goes into the hole on top of the pipe, will bottom out inside the pipe. I think a manifold with a star fitting is the way to go though.

markct
11-16-2008, 08:43 PM
i didnt know they made a 2 way screw in fitting that would be perfect, i just have seen 3 4 and 6 way ones.

3% Solution
11-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Markct,
I guess my first question is, Is there vacumn on the 1/2"?
If not, I use the "Single Manifold Saddle with elbow."
They seem to work well for us.
I get mine at Bascom's for $1.15 each.
It requires a 31/64" hole in the top of the mainline.
If you have vacumn use the one I think Mplwrks mentioned.
Hope this helps.

Dave

treefinder
11-17-2008, 07:12 AM
they do make a saddle for 1/2 " main line. this is what i use. you can get them at mks www. maplemadness.com or at bascom's. i use mine with vacuum and they work ok.just make sure your wire ties are tight around them when you put them on or they could leak.

markct
11-17-2008, 07:12 PM
"guess my first question is, Is there vacumn on the 1/2"?
If not, I use the "Single Manifold Saddle with elbow."
They seem to work well for us.
I get mine at Bascom's for $1.15 each.
It requires a 31/64" hole in the top of the mainline.
If you have vacumn use the one I think Mplwrks mentioned."

nope no vacume but how do ya have anything left to a half inch pipe when ya put a 31/64 hole in the side? half inch is 32/64 id so not much left there realy but i guess maybe its ok. the maplemadness site doesnt show them, do they have a catalog or something available that shows more stuff?

3% Solution
11-17-2008, 07:51 PM
markct,
Just went to Bascom's site and they don't have a pic of the fitting.
The thing I like about these fittings is that you buy that fitting and you don't have to buy anything else.
Once they're in the hole you put a couple of wire ties around them and your done.
The 1/2" mainline is 3/4" OD.
You want to put the hole in the very top.
I've been using them for three years and have had no problem with them.
They have a catalog or you can go to the site.
www.bascommaple.com
Hope this helps!!

Dave

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-17-2008, 07:53 PM
post edited

maplecrest
11-18-2008, 09:35 AM
i was going to stay out of this one but i looked around and finally played around with the 3/4 inch multi fitting on a 1/2 inch pipe. i run 1/2 inch on long lines with a few taps. if you play around with filling in with a piece of milk hose under the ratchet clamping to the 1/2 inch pipe you can get them vac tight.it will take some time to learn how to make it work. becareful cutting the hole in the 1/2 inch that you do not drill thru it.

peacemaker
11-18-2008, 07:49 PM
jeff u run vac on the 1/2 inch ?

maplecrest
11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
on the very end of main lines or for a few long lines. no more than 50 taps. does not transfer vac very well. but i had the pipe so i used it

brookledge
11-19-2008, 07:03 PM
When I upgrade some of my lines to 3/4" I used some of the 1/2" at the end of the 3/4" to go aways. It transfers vacuum better than 5/16
Keith