PDA

View Full Version : Mapleholics Meeting

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Russ- If your going to cancel the meeting at your place tomorrow due to the weather? Post something by like 6am at the latest so that we know not to head in that direction.

THIS THREAD NEEDS A STICKY AS I GOT A FEELING IT WOULD BE EASIER TO FIND RATHER THEN GET PUSHED DOWN THE LINE AND BE BURRIED.

Russell Lampron
11-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Matt is coming down tomorrow anyway so I say the meeting is on. We can hide in the sugar house if the rain gets too hard, that is if we get out of the woods fast enough.

Russell Lampron
11-15-2008, 04:55 AM
The meeting is a go for today. There will be another meeting tomorrow for those that can't make it today.

tuckermtn
11-15-2008, 04:59 AM
I'll be there...

I'll bring some misc. tools- the only thing I don't have a 2 hander...

-Eric

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Good turn out today. Included Russ, The Gov, Royal Maple, Tucker Mtn, Chipa, Amber Gold, Acer and Russ's brother in Law Richard and Grand son Joseph??

Matt has all the simulcast of the videoed events to be posted at a later date and time to be determined.

If your trees start dying you'll know why=It's all the new Vacuum tubing placed in central NH this year at Red Roof Maples SH.

Russell Lampron
11-16-2008, 05:56 AM
A big thank you to everyone that came over to my place yesterday and worked in the drizzle and rain to hang some wire and mainline. We got a lot more done than I thought we would. Thank you Matt, Kevin, Chip, Eric, Josh and Dean. My son Jay, son in law Richard and grandson Joseph also helped, thank you to you guys too. For a nine year old boy my grandson stayed out there all day and never complained once about anything. A true future sugar maker. Without your help I would still be struggling with getting the first mainline up.

Dave, Jim and Josh are coming over today to help Richard, Joseph and I get some more done. We should be able to get a lot more done today too.

Chip, I am going to try your idea with the pvc pipe supports. Richard and I looked at some at Home Depot last night and I think that it will work good.

Russell Lampron
11-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Thank you Dave, Jim and Josh for the making the mapleholics meeting day 2 a successful one. Like yesterday we got alot done today. Over the weekend we strung up almost 4000 feet of wire, hung 2400 feet of 1" mainline, and have 900 feet of 1.25 inch pipe rolled out and ready to be tied onto the wire. About 450 feet of the 1" mainline is over our heads and some of that is 25 feet off of the ground. If it was at ground level we would have gotten even more done.

Theron with all of the expansion going on up here all that you will have to boil is the permeate water from our RO machines.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Russ- Forgot to show you what i found on a maple sapling stem at the end tree for the pipes by the SH=Showed matt and told him what it was and we set it aside to show you. Not sure what we did with it? Anyways=Forest tent Caterpilar egg capsule. :(

Take a peek at one more time and that will get your mind off the pilars.

3% Solution
11-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey Russ,
Not a problem, somethings are easier with many hands.
Thanks for lunch!
Sure would like to stop over sometime and check that situation out in the spring!
Your welcome!!!

Dave

Russell Lampron
11-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Kevin, Matt told me about the FTC egg that you found. He couldn't remember where he put the stick. I thought that what I had going on was Fall Web Worms.

Dave and anybody else you are welcome to come over anytime during sugaring season and I will be more than happy to show you how everything works. Maybe have a couple of boiling sodas too.

I still have a lot to do but I am much closer to being ready for BIGSAP than I was before the weekend. I cant thank everybody that helped out enough. When any of you need a hand let me know. I will be there to help.

Acer
11-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Russ,

Nice to meet you and the other mapleholics saturday. Learned a lot in a couple hours that's for sure.
Glad to help and I'll kink tube with you guys anytime.

Dean

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Maybe the pirate put it in his tool bag?

Russell Lampron
11-18-2008, 05:09 AM
Acer,

Thank you for coming over to help. When you are ready to string up some pipe let me know and I will be over to help.

royalmaple
11-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Better not have brought those bastards over here. Check on the lawn out behind the boiler towards the back of the house. That is where I had my tool bag. Think it was there.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Matt be on the look out for "1" turning into many of friends. lol= http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=0907037

So what should we recommend for Russ to do?= Cut down, immediately all the smaller sugar maple crop trees growing on the edge of the back lawn to remove any future devastating potential or what?

Russell Lampron
11-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Kevin,

Thank you for the link, now I know what to look for. I will be getting my brush saw out and we will have a bonn fire when there is alittle snow on the ground.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-18-2008, 12:24 PM
If you look down on the bottom of that page there is a highlight to more photo's and click on that and it shows new and old egg masses.

Russ- They are usually about 3/4" long and they can be light brown to very dark in color. I think they kinda make the egg mass like the color of the twig they are on. I probably should have looked around and seen if there was anymore?? If you stand at the end tree to the pipe going to the sugarhouse If you look at a sapling about eye level a couple of feet to the left of the end tree you will see where i snapped off the stem.

Maybe look on the porch is where matt may have put it? Now the egg mass looks like a small blister that makes the stem look like it's double in size for the 3/4" area that it is clung to.

Here is another link to the pillar and it's egg mass. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG7563.html

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I was reading on that minnesota link and it said that they rarely feed on Red maple, and conifers such as pine and spruce=So i say the pirate is pretty much bullet proof so far.

maplecrest
11-18-2008, 03:02 PM
the eastward movement has found you with the cats. had them here and sprayed for them. i picked one off a tree and put in in a jar on the kitchen table to see them hatch. the ones inside hatched the same time the ones in the bush did. what a stringy mess the make. they die all over the drops the tubing. make a mess. better take a walk thru your woods . if you count more than 8 masses on a tree you are going to have a serious defolation problem.the old egg masses have a silver tint to them. the new ones a bright shinny black

royalmaple
11-18-2008, 05:42 PM
I just went through my van and did a full recon of and didn't find the stick. So it is out there. Should be on the lawn. I thought I might have taken them home.

See I am so far ahead of the curve. If you guys will just listen to me for once and cut your sugarmaples for firewood and start tapping the reds you'll be in the chips.

ATTENTION ATTENTION:

Be on the lookout for a unknown man that is claiming to be running on solar power. He claims he does not have to eat or drink anything. Just run around insearch of sunlight. He is not much good after dark.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/royalmaple/2008%20Russ%20Tubing/Picture364.jpg

royalmaple
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Where are you going russ?

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/royalmaple/2008%20Russ%20Tubing/Picture365.jpg

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Dave-3% wasn't around so i had to test out the latest version.

Russ-Sky's the limit.

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Russ sure grows some nice straight logs:rolleyes:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Just noticed that there are 2 guys on the ground with their hands in their pockets= Most have been a Goverment job site. lol

Matt when are the video's going to be posted?? Looking for wolfman.

royalmaple
11-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Doug-

What could you do with that on your bandmill?

royalmaple
11-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I got them on my other computer. I had to come inside and strap the feedbag on. I'll see if I can get them on tomorrow. I was watching one and just about pissed myself.

Had something to do with some 3/4 mainline and a tug of war going on. I think the team called the kinks won.

3% Solution
11-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Kevin,
That's not going to work!!!!
It has to be part of the body, like the one I've got!!!!
This sucker charges good, if not covered!!!!
Getting it to discharge is the problem!!!!
Just showed the wife the pic of "The Great Divide" and she says "You've got to be kidding, you guys are nuts!!"
Hey, a man's go to go where a man's got to go!!
The two guys with their hands in their pockets, that's pretty easy ............. cold hands!!!

Dave

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-18-2008, 06:47 PM
If the blade on the mill was dull enough, I could probably follow the contour of that tree. Then we could build some really interesting buildings.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Ya- That is a good one for the not to do this section.

TapME
11-18-2008, 06:56 PM
would those buildings look like they belonged in Story Land?

peacemaker
11-18-2008, 07:26 PM
make cord wood out of it and build round that tree will work nicely maybe she will have a nice hollow spot and u can make windows ...

PATheron
11-19-2008, 03:36 AM
For the love of God Russ. I know you guys get deep snow but come on? You guys are too hard core for me. I put that stuff in at knee level. Im never moving up there. Just picking on you gotta put it where it will run. Theron

Valley View Sugarhouse
11-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Theron, thats the difference between wanting it, and WAAAANNNNTTTTIIIINNNGG IIITTT!!!!!

Russell Lampron
11-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Some interesting replys in this thread and my home computer is down. Theron we have to do what we got to do to get BIGSAP up here. I wish I had a set up where all I had to do was go from from point A to point B and have it all run to the sugar house but.....

The loggers didn't even want tree for pulp!!! It makes a nice anchor tree though.

royalmaple
11-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Those ratchets will sh*t the bed before that tree lets go. Once your done it will look great, just some high wire acts and you can help pay for the tubing with admission to the big show.