PDA

View Full Version : cupola size

jcb
11-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi all,

We are build new sugarhouse and I was wondering if there is a formula to calculate the size of the cupola

Thank you

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-14-2008, 07:47 AM
I always heard size of opening in square feet should be equal to the surface area of the evaporator.

peacemaker
11-14-2008, 08:03 AM
yup and if u hope to grow build it for the bigger evap

Dennis H.
11-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Everything I have been told and read says you never can be to big.

maple flats
11-14-2008, 08:39 AM
I agree if non hooded but I still have a 2x6 cupola opening with a 3x8 and no problems because i have a hood. But the hood only deposits the steam up in the cupola right next to the open vent doors. It works well. If you will not have a hood the first year you must go the same sq footage or larger than the evap. or you will get a dense cloud in the sugarhouse and won't be able to see what is going on, especially on days which are damp and no air movement, the heavy air type.

Haynes Forest Products
11-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Now is the time to say Coupla,Steam hood,Coupla,Steam hood. You could build a steam hood cheaper and with less work than a coupla with doors to keep the birds,bees,bugs and dirt out and then your done. Go with a 12" pipe and make the hood out of alum. and dont get fancy.

jcb
11-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Thank you for all the input. We do have a hood and we will go with the sq. footage rule as well so we should be good.

I will try and post some pictures of the progress

Thanks again

Haynes Forest Products
11-14-2008, 07:48 PM
If you have a hood why do you need a coupla?

tuckermtn
11-14-2008, 08:03 PM
cause cupolas look good...IMHO

Amber Gold
11-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I agree with Eric. It doesn't look like a sugarhouse unless there's a cupola with steam billowing out of it.

PATheron
11-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Jcb- I went with a cupola becouse I liked the looks of it too. I agree that the hood is more civilized and makes more sense becouse then you can have a nice preheater too. My dad and I like the open pans becouse it seems more like sugaring to us. Kind of a traditional thing. Plus you can look right in the pans and thats kind of nice. I made mine the size of my evap and added a bit more all the way around. Plus I kind of tried to make it proportional to the building. I never did make doors on mine. I did do a nice job of screening it off though to keep the birds out and the overhang was such I dont really get any snow or rain in. Really should have doors probly but Ive never took the time. It was actually kind of fun to build. The steam does get thick on the right evening though but weve never had it so bad we couldnt work fine. It sure is impressive to see. We let the elementary school kids come out for a field trip and they love that kind of thing. Theron

jcb
11-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Its true it would not look like a sugarhouse with out one. Also the hood is on the back pan only so I still need a cupola

tuckermtn
11-15-2008, 05:03 AM
do consider oversizing the cupola...we started with a 2 x 6 and made the cupola sized for the pan...then we doubled our evaporation capacity by switching to a 2.5 x 8 and it can get pretty wet in our sugarhouse...course that might have something to do with the alum. roof...

-eric

jcb
11-15-2008, 07:32 AM
do consider oversizing the cupola...we started with a 2 x 6 and made the cupola sized for the pan...then we doubled our evaporation capacity by switching to a 2.5 x 8 and it can get pretty wet in our sugarhouse...course that might have something to do with the alum. roof...

-eric

I think at this point if we were to expaned it would be with an R/O, big dreams no time soon. The cupola will be a bit bigger than we need.

Thanks again for all the great input

Jim

Haynes Forest Products
11-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Hey I have and like couplas and I put in a hood 2 years later. I even put spot lights up in the top area so the steam lights up at night looks cool and it lets friends know when the sap is boiling and the beer is flowing. the funny thing is the fire dept has stoped in twice at night thinking there was a structure fire. NO BIG TRUCKS DANG

jcb
11-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Check out the progress at www.countrymaplefarm.com look at the pictue gallery

brookledge
11-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Looks good jcb
Keith

Sugarmaker
11-16-2008, 05:49 PM
You guys bring up a good point about a cupalo on a sugarhouse to get the look.
We choose not to go with a cupalo but added a loft area in the back that kind of looks like a psuedo cupalo. I havent had anyone come in a say, Hey! where's the cupalo. The steam is always barelling out the two 10 inch hood stacks and we have only 5% or less of the steam in the sugarhouse. I had boiled in steam filled sugarhouses for years and wanted the steam removed. I feel it much safer and much more comfortable for the person boiling and folks visiting too. We have about 6 drops of water in a entire season that may come off of a nail through the roof. I think the only folks that can pick out a sugarhouse is another sugarmaker? The public doesnt seem to care that much.
My three cents
JCB either way thats a nice looking sugarhouse.
Chris

peacemaker
11-16-2008, 06:40 PM
haynes i put lights in my old shacks coupla also never got the fire trucks though ... and do u think u could make a hood cheaper then a coupla ?
and sugarmaker i dont know if i agree maybe down in pa not to many people know what a sugarshack looks like but up here in vermont they sure do ...and i agree jcb its a gorgous building

Sugarmaker
11-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Old timers know a sugarhouse should have a cupola, but getting fewer and fewer of us:) I do like the look a sugarhouse with a cupola too, But then I like the look of traditional buckets on a row of sugarmaples and now have almost all tubing.
Chris

peacemaker
11-16-2008, 07:11 PM
never wont put out atleast 30 buckets ..love buckets

Sugarmaker
11-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Yea, Mike hung 20 in the yard near the sugarhouse and we made some syrup off those and the kids that visited liked to gather them too. Always a suprise in a sap bucket:)
Chris

peacemaker
11-16-2008, 07:18 PM
i have a 4 year old sugar master of my own and i have 4 buckets i put low so she can gather ...

Sugarmaker
11-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Peacemaker, I saw the picture of her and she looks to be having a great time. Enjoy. Thats what its about!
Good luck in 09.
Chris

peacemaker
11-16-2008, 07:23 PM
she eats syrup every day lol and of course papa makes the best syrup
lol

Sugarmaker
11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Great another little one addicicted:) My Grandaughter Marly came to the sugarhouse a month ago and I gave her some maple sugar candy and she chomped it right down. I asked Kelly (her mom) about it and she said Marly has been eating it when ever Nana (Cheryl) takes some to their house. She now calls it Papa's candy :) So I know the feeling! Can't wait to get her into making syrup in about 15 years!

Chris

peacemaker
11-16-2008, 07:31 PM
yup it must be in the blood

Haynes Forest Products
11-17-2008, 09:33 AM
PEACEMAKER I would say that a hood would be cheaper than a coupla in both time and money. BUT with that said a simple hood is not that complicated. 3 years ago my hood for the 3x10 was just one sheet of 22 guage Alum. and help from a heating contractor for the big bends. I would say that for under $200 you could build a nice one. In reality if you have a 2x6 and put a flat peice of sheet metal on the top with a vent pipe you would have a hood.
NOW as we all know that would never last because we are always looking to improve the way things work SO we raise it up a little put a slope on the sides to give room for a preheater and direct the condensate away and make a door for viewing and BINGO we have a modern day hood. Mine is light and simple. I was not around when the Coupla was built on my shack Its a monster 4 wide x 8 long 5 high doors that hinge down 2 sided with a ropes and pullys to open and close put a floor in it when I went with the hood. Im thinking of renting it out for hunting season as a deer stand.

peacemaker
11-17-2008, 09:43 PM
they do make i nice deer stand ... i guess as a carpentar and a master woodworker a coupla is a is couple hours of work with mostly srap ... it seems cheaper to me ... but i see your point

Sugarmaker
11-18-2008, 08:51 PM
I had not considered the deer stand aspects! Darn missed another reason to spend time in the sugarhouse:)