PDA

View Full Version : Pan Gasket Question

briduhunt
11-12-2008, 08:55 AM
I have just aquired a 2x6 Leader drop flue evaporator that I am presently re-tinning and I have a question on weither or not I need to have pan gasket material between the pans and my evaporator. I see that there are many evaporator companies selling 1 1/2 " and 2" wide pan gaskets. Not sure what I should use, if I need any at all. And also how is the gasket adheared to the evaporator? Any info would be appreaciated.

Jim Brown
11-12-2008, 09:17 AM
birduhunt; We have a 2x6 raised flue and replace the gasket material every year when we take the pans off to clean the bottoms. We just buy a piece of 2300 degree ceramic blanket cut it in strips1 1/2 inches wide and set the pans down on it Not very expensive and it seems to work good for us. You have to have a good seal between the pans and the rail or the fire and heat will travel out from under the pan sides.The material is just held down by the weight of the pans no adhesive.
Check out the pics on our Photo bucket link.
Jim

Haynes Forest Products
11-12-2008, 09:55 AM
What the gasket does do is help keep the pans setting level and stable. My arch is as stright as can be but the pans have slight waves and dimples and will vibrate as you cook so the gasket helps with stabalizing the pans.

brookledge
11-12-2008, 08:34 PM
I never used any until I went to a forced draft. If you don't use it with a forced draft the blower will blow embers out between the arch and pans.
With your evaporator you don't need to but it will make for a better seal. They also sell braided gasket that last for a long time unlike regular pan gasket which is pretty much a one time use.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
I use the braded 1" wide that comes in a roll and I pop riveted it to the railes and it stays in place just fine. I used small rivets so they dont keep the pans from setting up on them.