PDA

View Full Version : Lolipop shelf life

brookledge
11-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Just wondering how long people have kept maple lolipops with out having any problems.
Keith

gmcooper
11-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Keith I know we have kept them for a couple months no problem. Obviously keeping them cool and dry would be key for any longer I would think. I was hoping more would reply as it would be easier for us if they would keep longer we could make ahead of time when we are not so busy. Usually we make them only a week or so ahead of our sales.
Mark

brookledge
11-15-2008, 01:30 PM
I was hoping to make some now and have them for christmas time. So if they have a shelf life of atleast 2 months I'm all set. Towards Thanksgiving I'm busy making candy, cream ,etc. so I wanted to get the lolipops out of the way.
Keith

Clan Delaney
11-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Does it have any effect on shelf life to individually vac-seal each piece? My thought would be to store them all in an airtight container with some kind of dessicant. I happen to have amassed quite a large store of silica gel packets. I wouldn't suggest putting them in the actual bag with the candy, but I'd think that packing them in with wrapped candies would be okay. 'Course, it might have the opposite effect... making the candy dry and crumbly instead of moist and crumbly.

brookledge
11-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Clan
As for candy, unless you crystal coat it it has a short shelf life. About 8 weeks. I have been making candy for Christmas for years but this is my first year making lolipops. I hate to crystal coat because it takes more time but sometimes I have too. That is why I was hoping to have lolipops last alot longer so I can make them before I get into candy and cream.
Keith

gmcooper
11-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Storing the lolipops the issue that I found over time was if they got too warm they would start to get sticky and stick to the wrapper or plastic bag . On the same line moisture will make them sticky as well. The ones we saw in a gift shop in VT were simply wrapped with a cheap plastic and that was tied with a twist tie. Not sure how long they had been on the shelf but they had several hundred in a bucket for retail display. They were not air tight seals for sure. We do something simliar here now but do not plan to keep them long.

Storing them in a plastic tote might be ok. Not sure about the silica. I know that would work but not sure about storing with food. Just a thought.

tuckermtn
11-16-2008, 07:08 AM
not to hijack the thread...would the silca gel/desicant work to cut down on the silme that forms on the OUTSIDE of my jugs when I have them out in the sugarhouse? If I stored then in a rubbermaid tote and put some silica gel packets in there would the mold/gunk on the jugs be a non-issue?

I store most of my jugs in the house in the basement, but have a few outside in the sugarhouse for drop-ins.

thanks

brookledge
11-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Well then i think if I keep them cool they shouldn't get sticky before Christmas. I know that if you don't put them in bags soon after they are made they will begin to absorb moisture and get sticky
Keith

Clan Delaney
11-16-2008, 05:47 PM
not to hijack the thread...would the silca gel/desicant work to cut down on the silme that forms on the OUTSIDE of my jugs when I have them out in the sugarhouse? If I stored then in a rubbermaid tote and put some silica gel packets in there would the mold/gunk on the jugs be a non-issue?

I store most of my jugs in the house in the basement, but have a few outside in the sugarhouse for drop-ins.

thanks

I think... maybe. That mold/slime needs moisture, and the silica would help cut down on that, but it can only do so much. The amount of moisture in a sugar house is probably too much to be controlled by tiny packets of silica gel alone.

mapleman3
11-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Keith I made some a month ago and mine are still fine.... I think you will be ok just keep them cool,which shouldn't be a problem now, plus the humidity is dropping as the weather gets colder.. althought the past few days may have been more than usual

mapleman3
11-16-2008, 07:57 PM
tuckermtn
you can always run a dehumidifier in the off season in your sugarhouse if that's a problem.. with the drain going outside. but I bet it will run a lot.