PDA

View Full Version : steel protector strips on bottom of flue pan coming off

markct
11-10-2008, 09:01 PM
i have a 2 by 6 ft flue pan that is made by waterloo. i bought it used and it has the steel strips over the bottom edge of the flues, on one end they are peeling off badly and have curled up and partly burned or rusted away. this is how i bought it, the last guy that had it said it was that way when he bought it, and he had just turned the pan around so they were at the back near the stack and used it that way for years, it doesnt leak, and i dont see any real purpose to these other than to keep it from getting hit with wood, but its a raised flue so thats not a real big concern i dont think. i was planning to trim off the excess of the ones that curled badly on the end, and maybe take off one of the ones that is only held by about the last foot anyhow. the pan is in great shape other than these strips and it doesnt leak so i just wanted you guys input before i made a big mistake for reasons not imediatly obvious!

markct
11-16-2008, 08:05 PM
hmm so i guess i am in unchartered territory here, well looks like i will have to trim carefully and keep my fingers crossed!

maplwrks
11-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Mark,
Many of the manufacturers put these protector strips on the bottom of their flue pans. Be careful taking them off--don't trim too close to the flues. It may not be leaking----YET! I don't think there is any reason not to remove the loose pieces. If they are still attached to the flue, I probably wouldn't fool around with them just give them a little trim. GOOD LUCK!!!

markct
11-16-2008, 08:53 PM
thanks yea i didnt see much real purpose to them, and not realy sure why they got so curled and deteriorated when the pans are in great shape otherwise, maybe overfiring?