PDA

View Full Version : vacuum - generator quest.

troes30
11-09-2008, 04:55 PM
i have a Leader vacuum pump with a 13 hp gas motor. i want to convert to electric by way of a 5 hp motor. i have the 5 hp motor...now i need a generator big enough to run the pump and some other small things like sump pump and lights. What I need is info on how big a generator i need. i think i need around 15k, but not sure. ive called around on trying to rent one for the first year to make sure i get the right size, but of course noone has 15k. any help greatly appreciated.

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-09-2008, 05:17 PM
I used to use a 12K PTO generator to run my barn in case of a power outage. I could run lights, fans, a 5.5 hp vacuum pump, 3hp compressor on the bulk tank and the motor that pumped the milk from the receiver jar to the bulk tank. I was careful to make sure the vacuum pump was not starting at the same time as the compressor. I would think that would be adequate for your needs.
Doug

Valley View Sugarhouse
11-09-2008, 06:19 PM
a 5 hp motor draws 28a 230v, or 6440 watts, 6.5kw.. your lights will draw anout nothing, abot 1 amp per 100 wall bulb.. what you need to worry about is the start load, this can be as much as 3.5 times the rated motor load, if the Generator is capable of sustaining 7500 watts, 7.g kw with a start load of 14 k you would never have a problem doing the vac and a few lights.. If you want to get around the start load, you could install a vac with a VFD variable frequency drive..

Andy