PDA

View Full Version : modifying stock tank

tuckermtn
11-07-2008, 12:25 AM
has anyone messed around with changing the outlet of a oval galvanized stock tank? looking for some way to drain it more completely...if you could put the tank up on some skids, could you weld/solder a 90deg elbow on the bottom - and tilt the tank toward that end?

of course I should probably find a decent roundbottom and be done with it...

cheers-

tuckermtn

jrthe3
11-07-2008, 01:23 AM
what a did TSC sells a 3/4 inch bulk head fitting for in the poly tanks i drilled a 1 inch whole (i think) in the bottom of the stock tank put the bulk head fitting then a 90 then a valve then a cam lock that will hook to my pump works great

peacemaker
11-07-2008, 08:13 AM
i did one i i first took two pieces of pipe layed them under it about 6 incsh apart and hammered a truth towards one end and then i took piece of old cast drain pipe hammered a cirlce at the spot i wanted to drain drilled a whole and got some fittings and some gasket tightened and never had a leak

Amber Gold
11-07-2008, 08:59 AM
jrthe3, was going to do the same thing you said with a stock tank. glad to see TSC sells bulkhead fittings...wondering where I was going to find one. Where can I find camlock fittings locally (NH)? I called TSC and they carry them down to 1" or 1 1/2", I forget which. Would like to get a few in 3/4".

maple flats
11-07-2008, 10:09 AM
I took one tank , drilled a hole and surface soldered a copper female adapter under the tank, no leaks. Solder it with a soldering iron, not a torch. Thus you can get a build up of solder if needed to fill any void.

gmcooper
11-07-2008, 10:36 AM
The stock tank that came with my original evaporator had a brass fitting soldered on the bottom of the tank at one end. Workes great and drains completely. Just tip the other end up little and all that is left is a couple teaspoons of liquid. With a bulkhead type fitting you are going to get more liquid that will not drain depending high high into the tank the fittings extend.
Mark

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Amber Gold,
I got small camlocks from FarmTek catalog. Also have an online site. LaPierre also has them listed in their catalog.

Fred Henderson
11-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I use a 180 gal galv stock tank. I took a piece of 1 1/2" dia copper, heated it and put a 1/4" flange on it but tapping lightly with a ball peen hammer. Then I solder this to the bottom of the tank. Nothing protuding into the tank. Drains competely.

partsrus1974
11-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I used one of those metal flanges for metal pipe handrailings.I got one in 3/4from home depot.I cut a whole in the stock tank,then Made a rubber gasket to go in between the flange and the tank.The flanges have four bolt holes in them,so u just drill four holes and bolt it up.Its on the outside bottom of the tank so it drains completly,Mines been that way for 3 years no leaks

royalmaple
11-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Tsc does have 3/4 quick couplers. I think they call them gator, something something. Gator gripper or something like that.

tuckermtn
11-07-2008, 08:56 PM
thanks for the replies...knew there had to be a way...

-eric

sapman
11-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I got several camlocks last year straight from Banjo. Checked out their website, found what I needed, then talked to a salesman to get exactly what I wanted. Prices were very reasonable, and great service.

Tim

Amber Gold
11-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Matt,

Was just on TSC's website and they do have them and they call them gator couplers. Thanks