PDA

View Full Version : Stack Cover Orientation

Amber Gold
11-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Wondering about the orientation of the stack cover relative to wind. Sugar house runs east/west with the door on the west and the evaporator doors on the west side and stack on the east side. What orientation should the cover be? So it opens away from the wind with the flapper on the east side (I'm thinking not because it would collect the wind and send it back down the stack), into the wind so it blocks the wind from the stack (I'm thinking this would be correct) or to the north or south (guessing it wouldn't matter either way with this one).

Also read in an old post of people putting 1/4" construction mesh/hardware cloth in their base stack. Is this basically wire screen with a 1/4" gap? Wondering if anyone has done this and if they had good results. Also wondering if installed in the base stack if it burnt out due to the high heat. I'd think at the top of the stack would be preferable, but not sure how I'd attach it, screws maybe. I have some big blue spruces on my neighbors property about 20' from my sugar house. I'm worried about me burning pine in my evaporator with a blower that sparks will blow into the trees and the wind does travel from the sugar house to the trees.

Thanks

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Josh,

I used the wire 1/4" screen 1 year in my basestack and it lasted the entire season and would have probably made it another year and this was with an airtight arch and probably running temps of 1500+ where the screen was located.

As far as stack cover, it should open up and fall back down out of the way unless you are opening it only slightly to control draft. If so, I would position it in the way where the opening is going away from the most normal wind pattern if that makes sense. I would think that the sparks going straight up into the air would have longer to burn out before catching something on fire vs forcing them out sideways with a stack cover only slightly opened.

I have never used a screen on top but some of the manufactures make a stack cover/hat with screen in it. Someone else could chip in on this as far as screen on the top.

Amber Gold
11-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Disregard the post. For some reason I was thinking the stack cover only opened 90 degrees. Forgot that it opens 180 degrees. It's not up and installed yet. not sure if I follow in the direction you recommend.

Where can I find the hardware cloth?

Cardigan99
11-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Josh, you can get it at home depot or even the local hardware store. Same thing as chicken wire only the holes are smaller

Uncle Tucker
11-06-2008, 07:42 PM
The Maple Pro stack covers open 90* and i put mine so it blocks the wind. I got the Maple Pro because it only needs one cable pulled down to open and let go to close.

danno
11-06-2008, 09:01 PM
One thing to keep in mind with the stack cover - I don't know if this happens to anyone else.

My stack cover was made for a 16" stack and my stack is 14" - so I have a little overhang. My cover opens toward the prevailing wind. Several times a year - on windy days, by cover will blow and stay open. I keep an eye on it 'cause I don't want rain/snow in the arch.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-06-2008, 09:06 PM
I take electrical tape and run it over the top of stack cover at the end of the season and down on the sides of the stack aprox 3' across the top 2 or 3 times and it holds it nice and tight until next season.

maple flats
11-07-2008, 10:19 AM
When i had an opening stack cover it opened 90 degrees with 2 cables. I held it opened or closed by hanging a spring clamp on the proper cable. I do not remember which way it opened relative to the wind but I never had it change in the wind. My current rig has a China man's hat, will eventually get the other, opening type because it works better.

danno
11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I take electrical tape and run it over the top of stack cover at the end of the season and down on the sides of the stack aprox 3' across the top 2 or 3 times and it holds it nice and tight until next season.

WVM - wish I could, but I think I would need about a 40' aerial lift to reach the top of the stack. That was a sucker to put up and any work at the top of the stack will require that I dismantle it.

Pete S
11-10-2008, 06:55 AM
What you're looking for,..........round here anyway, is refered to as "1/4" Hardware Cloth"

It may be a bit pricey,............maybe think about installing what is refered to as "Expaned metal". It is heavier and possibly more of a permanant installation. (looks like diamond shaped heavy screen)

Is the screen near the bottom, and within the stack as efficient/effective as a screen at the top? I would think that it would reduce draft.

IF covering the top of the stack is important to an individual,...........maybe let the top be covered, but just below have a screened termination all the way around?

Just my thinkin's!

Pete

Amber Gold
11-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I was at TSC today and I found 2'x5' roll of 1/4" hardware cloth for $9.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Danno,

40' stack on a 3x10?? Does it almost suck the entire evaporator up thru the stack??LOL!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
11-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Some hardware stores carry the Hardware cloth in bulk and will cut it by the foot which is how I bought mine a few years ago.