PDA

View Full Version : Filtering sap

maple sapper
11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
What kind of filter should I have on the front side of a RO membrane? It looks as though a carbon filter is not prefered from what I have read. So is a particulate/sediment filter the right choice? I am planning on making a GE merlin arraingement like Brent and want to know if I should remove the carbon prefilter and add a inline 5 micron particulate filter or something like that on the front side of the membrane. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks Gregg aka maple sapper

Valley View Sugarhouse
11-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I have 2 inline filters, a 10 micron, then a 5.. I change the 10 about every 5000 gal, and the 5 twice a season..

Russell Lampron
11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
I use a pop sap filter for the sap going into the bulk tank which is either 50 micron or 100 micron, I don't remember which, to catch the big stuff. I have a 5 micron pre filter on my RO machine and wrap it with the cloths that Lapierre supplied with the machine. I change the cloth every time I use the RO and change the pre filter cartridge when the feed pump pressure starts to drop.

maple sapper
11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Russell
You mentioned that you wrap your filter with cloths in the last post. are the cloths for collecting large debris or for bacteria. Thanks Gregg