PDA

View Full Version : oil drums

jrthe3
11-05-2008, 01:23 AM
i work for a food wholes sale ware house they have some 15 and 55 gal. S.S. drums that had cooking oil in them i talk to the head man he said that is all that has ever been in them do you guys think that i could use the for syrup

PATheron
11-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Jrthe- Im not sure myself but being stainless that would sure be great. I guess youd have to see how good you could clean them. Maybe a steamcleaner? Maybe Jerry would know or someone associated with the packing houses. Theron

220 maple
11-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Once you get them clean they are the best thing you can use in my opinion for storage of maple syrup, Getting the oil out will be tuff, try some pan cleaner then neutralize with baking soda and water. I'm sure other traders will have even better ideas on how to get them clean. Good Luck

halfast tapper
11-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Rent a steam cleaner , it will disolve any oil left and also sterilize it. Works real well , you can rent a steam cleaner for 50 a day or so.

maple flats
11-08-2008, 03:48 PM
They likely can't be salvaged. Just send them to me and I will go thru the hassel of getting rid of them. On a more serious note, they will be great. Steam cleaning will do the job. If you have any extras in the 15 gal size let me know how much you will sell them for. I would like some.

jrthe3
11-08-2008, 07:20 PM
flats i will see what i can do now come the hard part getting them out of the building past the USDA inspector they are sapose to be destroyed after they are empty the sad part is that if the inspector see one that is empty he will punch a whole in it so it can not be used again

markct
11-09-2008, 05:39 PM
so ya mean there stainless but meant for single use? no wonder everything is so expensive these days when they are throwing away stuff like that! heck even with a medium sized hole in them, i am picturing like a pickaxe 1 inch or smaller hole, i sure would take them and tig a patch in there

lpakiz
11-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Just a typical example of our "throw away world". Has anyone even tried to get a TV set looked at lately? SAD!!

danno
11-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Just a typical example of our "throw away world". Has anyone even tried to get a TV set looked at lately? SAD!!

Technology changes so quickly that people put stuff curbside in fine working condition, little less broken. I'll admit it - I'm a college basketball junky and March is Prime Time. I've got cable in the sugarshack. I garbage picked a 25" Sony the other day - powered it up and presto - better picture than the tv in my livingroom. Funny world.

TapME
11-09-2008, 08:56 PM
you need to bribe the USDA agent with some syrup, It might work.

markcasper
11-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Its not what you know, its who you know. If you are "in" with an inspecter, you may not have much problem. They after all have the same skin underneath as you and I. Hope you are succesful!