PDA

View Full Version : Filter Pump

dp1000
10-31-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm looking at pumps for a Siro syrup filter. I have a brass gear pump on my old Dominion and Grimm plate filter, but I would like to avoid brass. The stainless gear pumps seem expensive for the high temperature ones. And I'm not sure I want to mess with an air diaphram pump as I don't currently have airlines in that vicinity. I see Grainger sells a cooking oil pump that pumps 80 psi, 375 degree max temp, 4.4 gpm, and is nsf approved. It doesn't appear that either gear pump is nsf approved. Because it is a "fryer" pump I assume it handles small solids (i.e. burnt fries, mcnuggets,etc.) with a screen or similar. Having not seen one in person I am a little skeptical.
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences? I would probably go stainless gear pump otherwise. Thanks in advance for any input.

Haynes Forest Products
10-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Why dont you like brass.

dp1000
10-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Trying to avoid lead and upgrading to a cleaner look. Am I wrong in thinking there is lead in those pumps? Seems I heard that the lead concentration can be higher after being run through a brass pump.

brookledge
10-31-2008, 10:09 PM
While there may be a small amount of lead in some brass there is little contact time. There are a lot of components in your home plumbing that contain brass such as fittings and valves and faucets. Copper is good for pipe but is too soft for valves etc.
With an evaporator or other type of pan or pail that contains lead there usually is a long contact time of a day or two which allows leachate to get into the syrup. But with the pump the syrup is only there momentarilly.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
10-31-2008, 11:24 PM
I understand that there is trace levals of lead in brass BUT that doesnt mean that every time liquid travels thru the pump lead pours out into it. Just a quick question should i stop my dog from drinking out of the toilet.

dp1000
11-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the input. It was what I was looking for, but in general, I have been trying to eliminate potential future problem spots as I upgrade equipment, not just in the area of lead, but as we are handling a food product in all areas. If there is as little contact time as you point out, maybe this may not be that important for the extra cost (substantial), but I would still like to hear about other alternatives or opinions. Any nsf approved or similar pumps out there? Thanks again, I appreciate the fast responses.