PDA

View Full Version : Taste test RO vs. Non RO

moonshinemaple
10-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Has anyone done the taste test? How does the RO stuff stack up?
I've tasted my syrup against three or four RO syrups and I taste it being very sweet, but loosing robust maple flavor. My syrup may run a little darker than the ROs but still, where is the maple flavor? Am I off base?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-30-2008, 09:35 PM
post edited

mountainvan
10-31-2008, 06:53 AM
I've been sugaring for 16 years with some of the same customers. I got an ro 4 years ago, customers said my syrup was better the first year I ran the ro.

maplecrest
10-31-2008, 08:59 AM
as being an 8th generation sugar maker, and having to fight {the family} to get where in am now. every move has been a flavor issue. going to oil,steamaway,getting a filter press. using an r/o.as the changes were made not one of my customers noticed a difference. my biggest objectors, family members never noticed a difference. to me the steamaway made darker syrup.now i will say contact time{in evaporator] has alot to due with flavor and color of syrup. these guys that put 20% in the evap. and make sugar water and sell wholesale make a different product than table syrup producers.

Valley View Sugarhouse
10-31-2008, 09:19 AM
boiling high concentrate creates a light syrup with flavor, and color. The packers like it due to the fact their syrup is blended with darker syrup. If I am making retail I never RO over 10% and I have never had anyone be able to tell me the difference between that and raw sap syrup. If I am bulking I go for the high concentrate, more bang for the buck so to speak...

TapME
10-31-2008, 06:21 PM
I have had syrup made by both and I could not taste the difference. The smoothest was at royalmaple and Russ Lampron's. It tasted just like mine which is just boiled. Just my thought

Russell Lampron
10-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Back when I first got my RO and still had some non RO syrup to compare it with most people couldn't tell the difference and most liked the RO syrup better. That year I added about 150 red maple taps to the mix and I think that alone helped make the syrup taste better.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-31-2008, 07:10 PM
post edited