PDA

View Full Version : Maple Grove Sales

802maple
10-28-2008, 01:07 PM
I was wondering how many of you sold to Maple Grove this year and if the process went well. I met many of you and talked to few others. I am doing this to see if there is any suggestions that might help in the future. You can either comment on here or send me a personal message. Happy sugaring next year.

Hope to hear from you,

Jerry

VtSugarhouse
10-28-2008, 01:32 PM
I sold some to Maple Grove this year and everything went well. Got $4.00 a Lb. accross the board and Haven was very accomodating.
Even got my SS barrells back as soon as they were weighed and emptied.
Oh yes I did call ahead to let them know I was coming.

Squaredeal
10-28-2008, 02:59 PM
I sold 220 gallons to them.
Very happy with the transaction -especially the price.
Only thing that would be better it faster payment.
Every farmer loves cash on the barrelhead.

maplwrks
10-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Everything went great with my transactions this year---My question is---How long before Maple Grove requires syrup to be in stainless barrels,and will they be supplying them? One of the biggest reasons for me selling to them is they provide the barrels. For me to by enough barrels to keep my syrup in would be a sizeable investment. I might have a problem buying barrels to send to a packer to beat the hell out of!! hehehehe

802maple
10-28-2008, 04:06 PM
I understand until 2011 we will be still accepting it in any barrel. They won't have to be stainless just food grade which includes the one way barrels and barrels such as the cdl plastic barrel. Come on Mike it would be fun crushing your barrels.

802maple
10-28-2008, 04:12 PM
This will not be only Maple Grove as I understand it will be all the packers. This has come down basically from the consumer as there is more and more requests that it comes in a food grade barrel. Believe me we will have thousands of worthless galvanized barrels at that time to be made into garbage cans. We will probably have some stainless barrels as we have some to loan out now, but you will have to sign a contract to get them I suspect that will stae that you will get them back to us in a timely matter.

Brian Ryther
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
After selling the first 1/2 of my bounty to Bascom for 2.35/lb I was happy. It was more than I received the previous year. This was before I learned about Maple Grove. Then I sold the second 1/2 of the crop to MG for 3.00/lb. I was upset with my decision to sell the first 1/2 early but I was stuck with the choice I made. Then the June 1st check came reflecting the latest bulk price. I still get mad when I count the pennies that I lost for selling early. If it is really $4.00/lb now then I am kicking my own butt for giving it away only 8 months ago for so little. Lesson learned.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-28-2008, 04:35 PM
BR- I think many people must have missed my post of usually what happens in the fall when the supply is tight= Price goes up. Not always the exception=but from at least the past 13+ years from what i have seen it's always higher $ in the fall for syrup.

Some things just can't wait as bills need to be paid.

royalmaple
10-28-2008, 04:42 PM
All went well for me and there's more on the way. Glad it is 4.00/lb now. Even more money for tubing.

I agree if we could get a check cut that day it would be better. But waiting a week is not that big of a deal.

Mike my drums won't break your bank and you can give them to jerry when he's done with them at this price. Plus it's fun to watch him wrestle a 55 gallon drum!!

WF MASON
10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Jerry,I was visiting with someone last week in Vermont, he said with the new number of taps going in for this spring,in all of the U.S. states and the provinces over the boarder, he'd recommend selling our bulk syrup and selling it now.The time to sit on it is over. Makes sense or at least seems to. Do you agree ?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I would think that would depend on what kind of season next spring is?? If the number of taps double over this year and the crop is bad, then the price will more than likely stay close to what it is.

lpakiz
10-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Do you think the price will hold until the first new syrup is made, or will it drop before tapping season in anticipation of a good year..?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
From all the reports that i have heard is that the packers have been building up all these foreign accounts and with the demand for syrup increasing 5-10% every year that it would take a couple of bumper crop years in a row for thye US and Canada to at least keep up with the demand and then your looking at maybe prices dropping???

Packers usually drop the price in the spring sometimes in anticipation of farmers needing the fast cash and then the price will usually go up slowly throught the year and top off around thanksgiving/christmas.

brookledge
10-28-2008, 08:38 PM
It also seems like prices stay down in the spring until after all have had there spring sale. They like to give 10% discount on equipment and hope you bring in syrup for trade. With the syrup prices kept down they are in a scense not giving you any discount on the equipment at all. I think in most cases you are better off buying your equipment and supplies with cash and then selling the syrup when the prices go up.
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-28-2008, 08:43 PM
That is my exact thoughts brookledge=How True.

802maple
10-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Syrup will go down in the winter with anticipation of a bumper crop. Having said that it most likely will not go under 3.00 a lb. Packers always set the prices at what would be a bumper season and then adjust to what is actually made and availability of the product.

Matt those barrels aren't so hard to handle if they aren't in a van surrounded by a vacuum pump and goodies. If you have a barrel dolly they are easy to handle. If anybody needs some good drums you should give Matt a call, They are 55's but you can't beat the price. For the price of 1 stainless drum you can buy a barrel cart and they aren't a problem to move around. Give Matt a 100 dollars and most of you will have enough storage for your whole season.

Jerry