PDA

View Full Version : Sugarhouse roof design

DaveB
10-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Hello all,

I have the frame for my sugarhouse all done and have the design for the walls all done. My next step is the roof design. I was going to go traditional with a cupola on top, but a thought occured to me about a different design and I was wondering what the pros and cons might be.

I've attached a very rudimentary drawing of what I'm thinking about. The roof would basically be pitched to one side with a 3-4' opening on the side where the evaporator will be. The roof would over hang the opening to keep it dry. I would have the same kind of doors that would be on the cupola above the wall. My thinking is that it would allow extra light in and be a simpler design.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks for your input.

Dave

RileySugarbush
10-28-2008, 09:39 AM
That should work fine if you are sheltered from wind. If not, and the wind is blowing right at the vented side, you will be standing in a cloud. A cupola with operating doors gives you a little control over that situation.

DaveB
10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
It is pretty sheltered. On the side that would be open there are evergreens (balsams & hemlocks) which filter the wind from that direction pretty good. I'm also putting in barn doors on one side and another door on a second side as well as windows. Would that help the fog conditions?

I want to make sure the slope is enough to keep snow off but I also want to make sure that steam would vent out through the opening. My though was that the steam was going to rise to to the peak and out the opening whether it was in the center or on the edge. The roof would be about 10-12' from the floor.

I didn't know if there were any other design considerations.

Thanks,

Dave

Yorkholomaple
10-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I think that design might work just so u have a big enough opening up there and the wind is not blowin in there. Even with a nice cupola we still have problems now wnd then. It really depends on the air pressure or what ever u wanna call it on how well the steam rises. Nice clear cold nights and the steam will head straight up and let me tell ya that is one of my favorite things to watch sometimes i forget to go put wood on the fire lol. Tom

3% Solution
10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Dave B,
I bet that works!!!
Make sure to have the same amount of square footage of vent as your total pan size.

Dave