PDA

View Full Version : Dump station

wanabe
06-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi Guys,

The bush Im tapping on my fathers property Is split by a major snowmobile trail. Ive been trying to figure out how to get to the other side without blocking the trail. I was reading some old posts and think I may have a way. Wanted to get some feedback on my plan. If I put a 100 gallon tank on the far side of the trail would it be possible to run a line from the tank with quick connects across the trail where my main line is and let it flow down the main line to my 500 gaLLON STORAGE TANK while I monitor the trail then just disconnect and roll up. If I do this I could pick up another 75 or so taps bringing me up to about 275 on line and 50 on buckets.

Thanks for your input

Jeff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Jeff,

Sounds like a great idea and should work fine. I use quick connects for everything and they work great.

Another possible idea would be to bury a 3 or 4 inch pipe a foot or more underneath the trail and run the mainline through the pipe and gradually bring it back up off the ground with the slope.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
:D

wanabe
06-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Brandon,

I had thought about burying a line like you suggested this would work for me because of the location where it would cross is on a very steep hill side. My concern is where I live it is not unusual for frost to go down 3 to 4 feet depending on the snow pack. If this froze up Id have 75 taps plugged tight. Well Ive still got time to figure this out so time will tell..

Thanks Jeff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Jeff,

Don't bury the line, bury a section of pipe several inches larger than the line and put the line inside the pipe. If you bury the line in the frozen ground, you would have a mess as you suggested. If you bury the pipe, then the line will not be making contact with the frozen ground and you could insulate it inside the pipe if you would like.

If you have plenty of slope, the line will drain out good anyway, so it shouldn't be any problem.

wanabe
06-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks Brandon,

Your suggestion sounds better all the time it would be alittle more work the summer but a ton less work in the spring when Im going to need my time to boil.

Thanks Jeff

brookledge
06-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Another option if you have vacuum is a sap ladder but it doesn't sound like you have vacuum so i agree with the larger pipe in the ground. Some people use sap ladders to get accross roads.

WF MASON
06-08-2004, 05:54 AM
Thoes DAM snowmobilers , Oh , thats right I've got thousands of miles on them under my belt. Never mind.