PDA

View Full Version : Homemade RO

Elynch77
10-28-2008, 01:46 AM
This is the first of many posts to come as I return from Afghanistan and get a sugar operation up and running between mid Jan. and tapping time. As part of this I will be building my own RO and thought this may be of interest to some people here. I used to work in a power plant that ran its own water purification system and learned a lot while I was there. It is looking like my expandable 4 x 40 system will cost me a weekend in time and under $1200. You can go smaller if you install a UV sanitizer and recirc. from a tank. More will come with pictures but not till later. I will be posting the equipment list and locations for purchasing.
Ethan

Dennis H.
10-28-2008, 02:22 AM
Very Cool, Thanks for any info that you can give us.

WF MASON
10-28-2008, 04:36 AM
Ethan, Thanks for your service to our country.

hookhill
10-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to see the progress. Been thinking of building a RO for years. How many GPH you lookin at?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your service to our country most of all and the freedom we enjoy and good luck with your project, I hope it works great!

Sugarmaker
10-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Ethan,
Will be watching for your progress on the R.O. and thanks for the freedom that we sometimes take very much for granted!

Regards,
Chris

brookledge
10-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Ethan
Look forward to your progress on the ro and I bet it feels great to be home with the holidays coming up. Thanks.
Keith

Valley View Sugarhouse
10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Than you Thank you Thank you!!!!!! You are the reason I have had great political debates, can choose the life I live, and can chose how many taps I want.. If you can't get the operation up and running in time, I am sure you can spend all sugar season running from one sugarhouse to another and never be boared... I know mine is always open along with alot of others here...

Thanks again for making this great country what it is...

Elynch77
11-03-2008, 03:43 AM
I will still be doing a homemade RO but not this year. I will be working on something similar over the summer. Sorry just no time this year but I will put out the list of parts and useful websites. Many thanks for all of your praise by the way. This is an interesting country and there is hope for it. Just remember it takes a generation to establish a working Government and even longer if there were corrupt systems in place before hand. We will get there these are smart, hardworking people who have had it harder than any of us can imagine.

So what I will be building over the summer is a portable RO I can put at a remote site so I don't have to haul twice as much sap. I will have my sister and Uncle (Both Chemists and sister is a Bio-Chemist) work out how to keep it from souring but I think a UV sterilizer should do it. I still have to work out a way to keep it from freezing though. In the mean time check out Wateranywhere.com I also found some great sites for smaller units if you are interested but that isn't really homemade. I'm also working on a smaller Vacuum idea that should be fun as well as a small micro turbine powered UV sterilizer that will go inline. ( I on a huge hill ) I am just lucky my wife lets me tinker. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Best regards,
Ethan

brookledge
11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Ethan
Many years ago shortly after ROs were introduced I had a producer say to me that he wanted to put an RO on a truck so that he could begin processing the sap as he collected. He never did it but your comments made me think of it.
Good luck you have some good ideas
Keith