PDA

View Full Version : Which releaser?

lew
10-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I am installing vacuum on a woods with 1400 taps now with a potential for 2000 taps. I haven't used vacuum in about 7 years. Many things change over this amount of time and I am looking for some input. I used a Bernard electric releaser many years ago that was rated for 3000 taps and I had 2500 going into it. It was installed with a thermostat to kick the pump on when the temperature was 28 degrees or warmer. It took the death of 3 old dairy vacuum pumps to figure out why. the float in the releaser had a plexiglass plate to which 3 floats were attached. when the sap first started to run, the slush coming down the line would accumulate on top of the plate not letting the floats come up far enough to turn on the releaser pump, hence the dead pumps. I then changed over to a big belly releaser and timer from marcland. Seemed to work flawlessly, but I only used it for a year. Am I still looking at the same problem with the Bernard (or any other brand)? Are the big bellies the way to go, or should I go to a mechanical? I have no experience with the mechanicals, and the woods is 10 miles from the house and I don't have time for problems (then why do I make syrup you ask). If it helps with your thought process, I plan on using an atlantic fluidics pump with hopefully 27 in. pulling for me.

Haynes Forest Products
10-27-2008, 08:56 PM
I have the doubble Bernard and did every thing possible to make it fail and it didnt so I got another one for this season. I had the slush fill the top tank with the vac on and didnt cause any problems. I dont cover it or oil it and it keeps on ticking. Had the tank cover fall down on it and stop it from cycling and the sap just bypassed and all was good so thats my vote.

lew
10-28-2008, 05:07 AM
I assuming that this is a mechanical releaser?

mountainvan
10-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I had a mechanical releaser fail on me this spring, my own dumb fault though. Left it uncovered in the pouring rain which seized it up. Now I cover them with a clear plastic bag to keep the water out.

Haynes Forest Products
10-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Yes mine are mechanical. I do wash them and keep it clean and I just mite cover this year just to be safe.