PDA

View Full Version : When to buy oil

Haynes Forest Products
10-24-2008, 09:35 PM
When is the best time to buy oil. I dont qualify to get on the budget system with the oil co. in town but I wonder when its going to hit rock bottom? I hate to buy 600 gallons and have it sitting around unprotected all winter they already got a tank without being seen so I dont want to open a dead of night diesel station.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Oil closed at $ 64 dollars a barrel which should mean gas prices should be around $ 2.00 per gallon. Guess Exxon is laughing all the way to the bank.

maplwrks
10-25-2008, 12:16 AM
I think everyone that needs oil for sugaring is watching the market close right now. I think, here in the east we should see $2.50 (or lower)oil by December. I'm going to wait until oil bottoms out before I spend more than I need to on my oil. Heating oil at the rack at the port of Albany was $1.94 today. There was a day when the best time to buy oil for maple was during the season, as the heating season was about over and the price would start to tank. My advise to you would be to keep an eye on the prices in your area and be ready to buy!

Fred Henderson
10-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Can you make a deal with your oil supplier to deposit x amount of dollars for oil when the price hits the lowest before sugaring.Say if in Feb it was 2 bucks a gallon and in Mar it was 2.20 you would get it for 2 bucks.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Opec is talking about cutting production and is having an emergency meeting about any time. I don't know how much lower it will go. If they left things alone, it would probably keep going lower but if they cut production a bunch, the prices are going to starting going higher again possibly. Be nice if we could hurry up and get energy independent and let all those rogues rot and fight and kill each other off.

Grade "A"
10-25-2008, 09:07 AM
The trends tend to be that the price of oil goes up in the winter, also the price tends to drop before the elections happen. But things are crazy now it will be hard to know what will happen. You could only fill part of your tank now then if it goes up or down it will not make as big of a differnce. They do make locks for oil tanks but if someone really wants to get the oil it is hard to stop them. The best thing to do is to make it more work then is worth to get to the tank and they will look for something eazy to get to. I miss the day of leaving the key in my truck and the doors to my house unlocked!

markcasper
10-25-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't know.....if I needed oil, I would be inclined to buy it now. The oil producing countries are getting p'oed that their profits have been cut 60% since summer. I feel something is going to happen and BIG, like war. The oil market is virtually controlled by and traded by just a few big groups. Since they hold the most contracts, the price easily does what it wants and goes where they want it to go and to advance their agenda. Call me a conspiriist, but its stuff like passing a bailout when 90% of the people are against it that tells whats really going on. The poor bailout the rich let the crooks be rewarded and the savers and thrifters be swindled.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
10-25-2008, 12:51 PM
sit tight oil is coming down, lets get closer to late december, OIL IS ALL THESE COUNTRIES GOT TO SELL we havent begun to see the bottom

RICH

Maplewalnut
10-25-2008, 01:27 PM
The best time to buy oil...never. Plant some more trees!

Haynes Forest Products
10-26-2008, 12:46 AM
OK so I went out and planted 10 trees but I can still see the bottom of the bulk tank.

TapME
10-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Just a thought, have you tried to get together with a group of people and buy oil as a group? This has worked up here for folks as well as some towns.

Haynes Forest Products
10-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Last year the min. order was $450.00 and that was at $3.86 per gallon so Im thinkin that with a lower price that has changed. I think the call will be made on monday to see what they say. Next thought is to set up a bulk tank on my trailer and get it filled with a local farmer and get his best bulk rate. Its funny to think that Im one of those EVIL oil speculators.